12. Search For Ease

*Flashbacks in bold*

Ever since Daniel returned from the mosque; his heart felt heavy and at ease at the same time. He felt a burden on his heart because his mistakes required his repentance for things to go back to normal, and at ease because he was looking for this feeling of peace ever since Hoorain left and he was banned from playing cricket.

The solace he felt at the recitation of the Holy Quran was undoubtedly softening his heart. He wanted to go back and experience it more. Finally released from his own zone of thoughts, he saw Amy enter inside his room. He had given her a wide smile to which his mother reciprocated. This smile that was so lively on Daniel's face, Amy was seeing it after a really long time, and it made her feel good as a mother.

"Ah. It has been a while since I saw you smiling like this. It's nice."

Daniel smiled some more but also looked down embarrassed.

"I went to a mosque today."

Quite startled at this discovery, Amy raised her eyebrow.

"Mosque? How come?"

"I don't know, to be honest. I was driving past, and I could hear the recitation of something in Arabic, but it wasn't clear enough, so I went to the mosque itself. Still don't know why I did but it felt good. I haven't felt this good in a really long time."

Amy had genuinely smiled upon hearing this.

"Then go often. If it really did make you feel good."

It was Daniel's turn to be shocked.

"Really? I thought you would mind it."

"Gosh. Why would I? There is no harm in getting to know other people and their beliefs. If they have their doors open for us, then we can also make the effort to go in every now and then."

Daniel smiled and nodded in response. Silence took over between the mother and son and for a few moments, there was nothing said until Daniel finally looked at his mother and gathered the courage to speak.

"I am sorry. I know I have been a pain recently. But I am trying, I will make everything right again and it starts with you. For everything that I did to hurt you, I am really sorry. Unintentionally and unknowingly, but I have caused you a lot of distress and I am sorry for that."

He said, getting hold of her hands in his while tears also made their way to his eyes.

"I promise I will try to be a better son, a better cricketer and a better person from now on."

"I will support you. In everything that you plan on doing. Just do it right this time, okay?"

Nodding to his mother's instruction, he embraced her in a hug and heaved a sigh of relief. This was just the beginning. There was a lot to be done and a lot to be learnt. It was only a start for Daniel, and he was ready for it.

----------------

For the next few weeks, Daniel regularly paid visits to the mosque, sometimes twice a day. He met with the Imam and several other people there. On every visit, Imam Zaid would explain either a hadith or a verse from the Quran to Daniel. As time went on, it became something Daniel really looked forward to. Today, the Imam would test him in a small quiz to see how much he had remembered. This was also on Daniel's request because he really wanted to learn some basics of Islam as his interest in studying religion increased.