32 | Psychotic Ex

Start from the beginning

Jason: What’s up?

Chris: You know Brooke Dawson, right?

Jason: Yeah… What about her?

Chris: Do you guys have the same class right now?

Jason: Yeah.

Chris: Is she in class?

Jason looks up and scans the class for the aforementioned brunette to find her present.

Jason: She’s here and what’s with all the questions? What’s going on?

Chris: I’ll tell you all about it later. Is she perhaps sitting anywhere close that it’d be easy to pass a note?

Jason: Surprisingly, yes. She’s sitting right in front of me.

Chris: Yes! Thank God!

Jason: okay…..

Jason has a puzzled look on his face as he looks up to see if the teacher has noticed that he isn’t paying attention.

Chris: I need you to do me a favour. Ask her if Stephanie is in school.

Jason: I’ll do that.

Jason slips his phone on the desk, in such a way that it’s goes under his notebook so that nobody can see it. He pretends to attentive for a minute, watching the teacher until he’s focused on another side of the class. Then he leans forward on his seat so that he’s closer to Brooke who is sitting right in front of him.

“Hey,” he whispers.

Brooke furrows her forehead when she hears Jason’s whisper behind her but she doesn’t think he’s talking to her so she doesn’t answer.

“Hey Brooke,” Jason tries again.
Brooke turns her head slightly to look at him from her peripheral vision.

“You’re talking to me?” She asks.

“Yeah. Uhm… is Stephanie in school today?” He questions her.

Brooke wonders why he’s asking about her because for all she knows, she doesn’t think they’ve ever spoken a word to each other before. She hasn’t spoken much to him either. She’d be surprised if he can actually match the name to Steph’s face. It’s nothing new because that’s how things are around here. That’s the way Steph wants it to be. She’s okay with being a wallflower even though she’s not so much of it anymore—she’s friends with Chris and Luke. If you could somehow manage to gain the attention of the two most popular guys in school, then Brooke doesn’t see you as a wallflower. The only thing that connects Jason to Steph is Chris.

Maybe Chris have told Jason about Steph that’s why he’s asking about her, Brooke muses.

“Yeah,” she replies his question. “We came together. She should be in class. Is there a problem?”

“No. There’s nothing to worry about, thanks.” Jason says and leans back to sit comfortably on his seat.

Brooke purses her lips, shrugs and focuses her attention back on the lesson.

Meanwhile, Jason picks up his phone and texts Chris.

Jason: According to Brooke, Stephanie is in school. They apparently came together. She should be class.

Chris: But she isn’t!

Chris takes a deep breath and scans the class once again to make sure he’s right. Where could she be? She doesn’t miss class, Chris thinks.