February 2, 2005

Today I have decided to do something extraordinary. Taking donated human eggs and altering their human genome with unique traits from some of the bird species I have studied. I have come to decide using the DNA from the Hawkfinch (due to their unique immunity to radiation) and the Eagle (due to their extraordinarily sharp senses and considerable strength). I hope to begin genetic enhancement in humans and thus change the future of modern medicine. My work here will ensure human survival in our deteriorating world.

May 24, 2007

It's been years, but I have finally gathered all the resources needed to begin human trials. Trial number one of a modified human embryo (Subject 1) is not responding to genetic manipulation. Embryo did not make it past germination. Moving on to the next trial subject.

September 14, 2010

After various failures, I have seen promising advances in Subject 17 and Subject 25. They are the first to have accepted the new genetic code and have developed into a fetus. However, upon closer inspection, the gene-editing technology has messed with the human genome and has turned off the rather important genes for biological functioning causing the subjects internal organs to fail.

January 7, 2012

Subject 34 embryo has made it to five months but is grotesquely deformed. Subject 37 is well-formed, but at four months, died upon exposure to radiation after testing immunity. It seems as though the more I try to manipulate the human genome, the more I expose the fetuses to new genetic diseases. But I will endeavor through this and move on to further subjects.

March 26, 2015

This is the first log where I write with good news. Subject 43 has made promising progress. The embryo has developed into a fully functioning seven-month fetus and has shown immunity to radiation poisoning as well as an incredibly high count of antioxidants in its body.

November 19, 2015

Subject 43 has fully developed and is ready to leave the test tube. Subject 43 has shown potential for complete immunity to pollution and various ailments such as cancer and malaria. Further testing to prove this will have to be postponed until the Subject reaches maturity. Nevertheless, I am proud to say that at this rate, Subject 43 will be the new frontier to a more durable humanity. I have scrapped the other ongoing trials and will focus on Subject 43 for the time being.

October 25, 2017

Subject 43 has grown into a toddler and has begun to sprout feathers on its wing bone structure. They look to be white like its Eagle predecessor. Upon an attempt to make contact, the subject reacted violently and began thrashing, cowering away from my touch. I have deduced that the subject's wings are extremely sensitive and the growth process is most likely a painful one.

June 18, 2018

I have begun to notice interesting behavior concerning the subject's wings. They seem to mirror that of the genetic donor birds. The wings are expressive, mirroring the emotions of the subject. They would flutter when showing excitement or happiness, flap as a display of power or confidence (on occasion defiance), and tuck away if the subject showed signs of upset or fear. The subject also shows extreme reluctance when my team tries to make contact with his wings, forcing us to sedate the subject so we could extract feather samples.

April 3, 2020

Subject 43 has a fully developed wingspan of eight feet. Subject attempted flight today. The subject made it to the top of the dome before faltering, and despite the hundred-foot drop, did not fracture any bones. The subject has proven to be durable with a stronger bone density than a typical human. Perhaps I shall look into how the subject reacts to more extreme physical ailments.

January 25, 2025

Upon further testing, Subject 43 has begun showing signs of rebellion. The subject has developed extremely sharp talons that emerge from fingernails when provoked. Like it's hawkfinch and eagle genetic donors, the subject has extremely sensitive hearing and quick reflexes as well as perfect eyesight and hand/eye coordination. The subject can fly and has shown promising success for genetic modification in humans but has begun to act irrationally and sporadically. I am assuming this behavior is due to the subject's age breaching the teenage years. In the meantime, I am handing this project off to Dr. Jeanine Pierce to complete the testing and moving forward with other projects until the subject has matured.

-End of Log-

Sighing, I closed the notebook and tucked it safely into my nightstand drawer. Flopping back onto my bed, I stared up at the ceiling unable to close my eyes. My mind raced to process everything I had just read.

What have I gotten myself into? I thought to myself as I watched my ceiling fan spin, beginning one of many sleepless nights to come.