Too Late For A Getaway Pt 2

During the main course Clary leaned over to Jace.

"I may have been Bridezilla in charge but I don't know who's up next with a speech," she whispered.

"Alec..."

"I swear, if he'll make jokes about me being short..."

"Don't worry. We all told him not to if he doesn't want Stabby Fray to make a surprise visit."

"I'm afraid I'll never get rid of that nickname."

Clary eyed Alec quite suspiciously when he got up after the main course.

"By the angel I fear the worst," she mumbled under her breath.

"Clary, I heard that," Alec said with a smirk, "But I had to promise I wouldn't make any jokes about you being literally only two inches tall even though probably some of you here expect me to. I know that the last time we all attended a wedding together, it didn't end well. The happier I am to have the opportunity to speak at your wedding. But if someone would have told me two years ago this would happen, I would have called that person crazy. Not because I didn't want my brother, best friend and parabatai to find this kind of happiness but Jace, as we grew up together for the bigger part of our lives, I never really saw you as the kind of person who would marry one day. And if someone would have told me in the beginning it would be Clary who would ignite so much change in all our lives and especially in Jace's, I would have considered this as the apocalypse. Gladly I was wrong. I couldn't be prouder now that it's you Clary who's sitting next to Jace being his wife especially with the knowledge how much you had to go through. In the past two years I've seen you both grow and mature so much individually and as a couple. I think, everyone who is here today had their moments of groaning internally when you were jumping to impulsive actions because it felt right. But no matter what you did you were each other's first priority. If there's one thing I've learned from you then it's that there's no length true love wouldn't go to. We all probably heard at least once in our lives the myths about Nephilims loving so overwhelmingly and never recovering from the pain when losing it. I never really believed it until I saw it happening to you and allowing it to happen to myself. Clary, I was wrong when I thought that the mundane values you were raised with didn't have a place within the Shadow World. You didn't only lead a lot of us to question some of our core beliefs we grew so accustomed to. Most importantly you changed my brother and helped him to become a much happier person. You were able to reach and pull him back from whatever darkness he was in. And there are no words to express how grateful I am for what you did. Though I had sworn to protect him, it was you who truly saved him. I thought that having one younger sister is enough but I love you and I'm proud of having you as the true little sister. And who would have thought that we both are often annoyed about the same things when it comes to him. Jace, I still remember the day our parents brought you in. But that 10 years old boy couldn't be farther away from the man you are today. Though I wished for you to find your happiness I often wondered if you would allow yourself to find it. Every single day you spent in pain, I felt it and I found myself praying to the angels to grant you a chance to get what you deserve. No matter how often we had fought over a variety of issues, your happiness was and is most important to me. Clary, Jace, you became each other's home and safe haven. May your happiness just as the love and respect you have for each other never fade. With great joy I raise my glass and drink to you and to many happy days in your life to come. To Clary and Jace."

Clary and Jace knew Alec well enough to know he wasn't the person who was fond to speak about his emotions openly and so his words meant even more to them. Both wanted to relax themselves and look forward to the dessert course but their eyes widened in fear when Izzy was the next one to get up and tapped on her glass.