The Home I Never Thought I Had

Two hours later Clary felt quite trapped in the middle of Izzy, Maryse, Maia, Aline, Helen and Lydia who were asking her endless questions and throwing tons of recommendations at her. Maia who stood next to her seemed to sense her discomfort.

“Do you need an exit strategy?” she whispered.

“Either that or a weapon.”

“I think, I need a new drink. Anyone else?”

But before she went over to the impromptu bar she looked for Jace and found him outside talking with Alec.

“I hate to disturb your conversation but it seems as if your fiancée is about to commit a murder,” she chuckled.

“I haven't seen her in a while. Where is she?”

“Being trapped between every female guest and I have the feeling, her smiling facade is about to drop. It's kinda funny how all of a sudden these badass Shadowhunters turn into a bunch of gossipy women when it comes to weddings.”

“All of them?”

“Exactly.”

“I'd die to hear someone like Aline Penhallow or Lydia Branwell gushing about wedding cakes and flower arrangements,” Alec snickered.

“If you don't get Clary out of there, there will be dead people.”

“I better get Clary out of there. We also wanted to finally check out Herondale Manor.”

“You're more than excused.”

“Seems like I have to save her once more.”

“Yeah, from the greedy wedding gossip monster,” Maia laughed out loud and went over to the bar.

Jace could clearly spot the relief on Clary's face when she saw him making his way over to them.

“I'm sorry to interrupt your gathering here but I'm afraid I have to kidnap Clary. She forgot apparently we have some plans of our own and we're running a bit late.”

“Oh yes, sorry I really forgot. I got so caught up here. I'm sorry but you heard, we have to leave.”

“No problem but we should meet some time soon to chat some more.”

“Yeah, that would be nice. But I really have to go now.”

“Have fun whatever you're up to.”

Clary breathed out loud as soon as they were outside the loft.

“One minute later and I would have strangled one of them or myself.”

“That bad?”

“I mean I get that Izzy and Maryse are excited about the wedding but the rest? I seriously consider to make them my bridesmaids and let them wear awful pastel colored dresses.”

“Before you plot anymore revenge plans, let's get you out of here.”

“I appreciate that and it's the first time in three days we get to spend some time with each other.”

“Do you still want to check out the mansion?”

“Of course I want to.”

Over the past few days Clary had fought down her own curiosity to take a look at Herondale Manor herself. As they stepped out of a portal now, she realized how Jace's hand holding hers felt a little clammy.

“Hey, we don't have to if you're not feeling comfortable with it.”

“It just feels a bit weird knowing this is the place I was supposed to grow up in. It's strange that the place where Valentine raised me isn't that far away.”