Some Ways Depart, Some Come Together

Jonathan watched how Clary ran out of the house and into the arms of Jace he recognized from the memories she had shared with him.

Jonathan had clearly seen the engagement ring on Clary but he felt, he wasn't in the exact place to ask her about it. But it was good to know his sister was happy. That was what he wanted for her especially after sharing with him how her life had been after she had confronted him.

It had been painful for him to see how much she had sacrificed back then. And he couldn't bear the thought, she would have to do that ever again, so it was better to let her go. Jonathan also didn't know how he should cope with the things he had done but maybe it wouldn't matter that much who he was rather than who he would be from now on.

“Spend your time well, little sister,” he said lowly while he watched the group walking away, “You deserve to be happy.”

When Clary and Jace arrived back at the institute, they went to Isabelle. She wanted to ask how it went but as soon as she saw Clary's smeared mascara and red puffy eyes, she just hugged her.

“It didn't work out?”

“It did, Magnus established a connection between us so that I could show him what has happened but he doesn't want to be a part of my life. I know, it's for the better but...”

“I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do?”

“Can you and Alec make sure that no one will go after him?”

“We promised you and we will. Should I inform him how it went?”

“That would be nice. I just want to lie down now, I feel exhausted.”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Go ahead, I want to discuss something with Izzy.”

Clary as well as Izzy shot Jace a confused glance but she shrugged and left the office.

“So, what is bothering you that you didn't want to discuss with Clary around?”

“I don't know if it's possible but could we keep a bit of surveillance on Jonathan?”

“You don't trust him.”

“It's not like that...”

“Jace, you don't have to explain that to me. I would probably do the same if I were you.”

“No, you don't get it. I think, he could be in danger.”

“How?”

“After Clary told me yesterday where he lives, it rang a bell. Since they talked in that café there were spikes in demonic activities in these areas.”

“You think, he met with them?”

“Ravener and Shax demons would never interact with greater demons, they go after mundanes and Nephilim.”

“I can make sure that more patrols are securing that area. Why do you want to keep him safe?”

“Izzy, you're the head of the institute. You should know our duties.”

“Jace, don't try to fool me.”

“Look, Clary already feels guilty for not saving him. If anything happens to Jonathan, especially after they met, she will blame herself.”

“Okay, I leave you off the hook.”

“There's no need to let me off a hook cause I didn't hide anything.”

“Will you tell Clary?”

“No, she would only worry on top of everything else.”

“Don't you think, you should tell her?”

“And then what? We both know, she would observe him till the point of exhaustion.”

“Like you did with her?”

“Izzy...”

“Okay, okay, I'm quiet. But you better go to her.”

“You're probably right. Thank you, Izzy.”

When Jace came back to his room, Clary sat at his desk with her sketchbook. Chairman Meow laid on the bed obviously dozing. She looked up when he entered the room.

“Hey, I thought you wanted to rest for a while.”

“I can't. Is everything alright between you and Izzy?”

“Yeah, don't worry. Would it help you to relax to lie down with me?”

“Not sure but I guess, it's probably worth a try.”

“Are you okay?”

“Except for the fact that I threw his horrible past at my amnesiac brother who gave up on me to save me anymore trouble? I'm fine. Was it the right thing to tell him all?”

“I don't think there's an easy yes or no answer to this question. Of course it was a lot and hard to fathom but at least he knows about his past. It's one of the worst feelings not to know where you're coming from.”

Clary closed the sketchbook and got up. Jace pulled her into his arms.

“I know you probably see it differently but you did the right thing today.”

“What if it breaks him?”

“Clary, we don't know if that will happen.”

“I left him my phone number. Do you think, he'll call if he needs help to cope?”

“I wish I would know. But if he's smart, he'll give you a call.”

Clary sighed into his neck while his hands softly rubbed her back and he walked them over to the bed. Clary curled up to him as soon as Jace had laid down next to her.

“Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?” Jace asked after a while pressing a soft kiss onto her hair.

“I don't know. It would be too spontaneous to go on vacation right now.”

“Yeah but would it distract you to tell me some bits about your master plan?”

“You mean my wedding master plan?”

“Yeah or do you have several for various scenarios?”

“I don't know. Normally these aren't meant to be shared with the significant other.”

“First of all normal isn't really for us and don't you think that if Izzy will go overboard with actual preparations and you want to kill her, it would be good if I know what you want to intervene?”

“I didn't see it that way.”

“But do you agree?”

“I have to admit, it's a good idea.”

“So, walk me through it.”

“I'd like a rather small wedding, only our family and closest friends and it would be nice if we could find a location for the ceremony which has a meaning for us.”

“You mean like for us as a couple.”

“Yeah, like the place we've met or where we first kissed for example. Do you know if it has to be a Silent Brother to initiate the bond? Or could it be someone else?”

“We could ask Brother Zachariah if you're worrying about the creepy factor.”

“That would be good. We also need a place for the reception. I mean, we could hold at the institute but I'd really like it to have it somewhere else.”

“According to its plan the Herondale mansion has a ballroom or if you're more into the outdoors, it has a huge garden.”

“Both sounds lovely but I guess, I have to see the mansion before I decide.”

“We can manage that.”

“This was never a part of my master plan but I thought, we could get the catering from Taki's. They'd definitely know what to serve.”

“That's true. Clary, I know you told me that men don't really have a say in wedding preparations but would you let me take care of the location?”

“Do I have to worry?”

“No, I promise.”

“Do you tell me where?”

“I'll tell you when my plan works out, okay?”

“Unusual but let's do it that way.”

“Only if you're really okay with it.”

“I know, you won't disappoint me. What do you think about self written wedding vows?”

“Clary, I'm not good at these things. I don't know what I should say then.”

She couldn't contain herself and started laughing. Jace looked at her kinda puzzled.

“What's so funny?”

“Jace, to be honest you're the last person on earth who should worry about how to write a wedding vow.”

“Why not?”

“You may not think of it this way but you definitely know how to say the right things at the right time. There were so many times you told me absolute wonderful things.”

“Did I?”

“Are you kidding me? Do you remember our conversation after that disastrous double date with Maia and Simon? You told me about all the little quirks you noticed about me and that you didn't want to ruin whatever there was between us. And there were many other occasions. Jace, believe me, you can trust your feelings when it comes to me. And I'm sure whatever you will write into your wedding vow, it will be perfect.”

“Are you sure?”

“Look at me. Do you think I would suggest it if I'd think you would fail at it? I love you and I trust you.”

“We'll see.”

“I think, Izzy and I can handle the flowers as soon you find the location.”

“Any idea about your dress?”

“Indeed I have but if I tell you this, I'd have to kill you.”

“I remember you told me that once about your whole master plan.”

“I know. I'm glad you'll support me with the preparations but the dress is really a secret thing. It may be a superstition but it brings bad luck if the groom sees the gown before the wedding.”

“Do you really think, we can have any more bad luck than we already had?”

“I won't try my luck.”

“You believe in that?”

“I do. I won't risk anything.”

“That's kinda cute.”

“Yeah, make fun of me. But if the apocalypse will turn on us because I had let you see my wedding gown, don't come to me to complain.”

Both snickered and Jace pulled her close.

“If there is anything, I can help you with, I'm here.”

“I know and I appreciate it.”

“I love you, Clary. I know we agreed to wait but I want you to know that whatever is happening, I'll be right here to help you.”

“I know and I love you too.”