A Walk, A Conversation And The Most Difficult Decision

Clary didn't really know where to go but she hoped the simple act of walking would clear her head. She felt, she wanted to talk someone though not particularly to someone from her family. As if she was running on auto pilot, she made her way to Taki's. When she opened the door, she felt relief when she saw Maia behind the bar.

“Shouldn't you be on vacation? Or did Jace drive you so nuts that you actually killed him and now need a hide out?” Maia joked but stopped when Clary started crying again. She went over to her and hugged her.

“Hey, what's wrong? Do I need to send the pack onto a revenge spree?”

“No, I just had to get away for a while and talk to someone.”

“Yeah, sure. Take a seat.”

“I don't want anyone to eavesdrop.”

Maia looked a bit skeptical at her but nodded.

“We could go outside and sit a bit by the water if that's good for you since it's not that cold today. I just tell Bat to take over for a while.”

“And I need a drink, vodka tonic.”

“Okay, you're not pregnant then and need advice how to break down the news.”

“What? No! And if you speak any louder than you probably create a fast spreading rumor.”

“I'm sorry,” Maia smirked.

A few minutes later they sat down by the water and both downed a vodka shot.

“Maia, I already have a vodka tonic.”

“I know but we should at least drink to your engagement.”

“Thanks. I literally forgot about that.”

So, what's the matter? Jace must have fucked up really bad if you're that out of your mind and daytime drinking. And don't get me started on you saying, you forgot about your engagement.”

“It's not about him. Maia, what I'm about to tell you, please don't tell it anyone else.”

“I swear.”

“It feels so weird to say this but Jonathan is back. A patrol had seen him in Chelsea and that's why we came back.”

“Wait, what? Your brother? But you killed him and afterwards you lost your memories. How and where? And shouldn't you along with the whole Shadow including the Downworld be on the hunt for him?”

“He's a mundane now and he has no memory of what happened.”

“How do you know?”

“I talked to him. He doesn't remember his name or me at all,” Clary said before bursting into tears again, “He has no idea, he still has a sister who wishes, they could start over.”

So shocked Maia initially was about Jonathan being alive, she could understand Clary's sadness. She held her and tried to calm her down a bit. They had never been that close but Clary had always appeared to her as someone who deeply cared about the people around her.

“We never got to talk that much but I'm really sorry for the things you had to go through. After you were gone Simon told me what happened. You always stood up for the ones who needed help, not only for Shadowhunters but also for us Downworlders and not only because Luke had been the alpha of the pack for a while. And you always believed in the good in people and that they were worth saving. I can barely imagine how you feel right now but maybe it's for the better. Jonathan has wrecked so much havoc on all of our worlds. I'm afraid a lot of people will be willing to go after him.”