An Angel's Advice

“Clary, I've been wondering about it for a few hours but is that actually Jace's necklace you're wearing?” Izzy asked with a teasing smirk while reaching for the last arepa on a plate.

“Yeah, couldn't golden boy wait till tomorrow that he somehow had to put a ring on you?”

“Very funny. But yes, it is his.”

“But why do you have it? He never takes it off.”

“Jace wanted me to have it,” Clary muttered before taking a deep sip of her cocktail.

“Oh, come on, we know that there must be a reason.”

“You will think, it's ridiculous.”

“We know, we teased your earlier but after what you went through we understand. Also, I know my son very well, He wouldn't take the necklace off not even if his life depended on it,” Maryse interjected and fixated her gaze on Clary.

“Jace gave it to me in case something happens that I'd have a reminder to come home. When we talked about that day when I lost my memories, he told me he wished, he would have given me the necklace so that I'd have been still connected to him somehow.”

Clary chuckled about the collective “awwww” she heard.

“That is so cute. But he knows that we won't let something happen to you.”

“Yeah, whoever would want to steal you tonight has to get past us.”

“Aline, I don't doubt that for one second.”

“Yeah, because we call can imagine how Jace would annoy us if only one hair of yours will be out of place tomorrow.”

“Not wanting to be this person but I've always thought of Jace as the least person to ever get married because of...”

“The book club,” everyone at the table finished Helen's statement.

“Exactly. I mean, don't get me wrong because of the way Jace was raised I somehow understand why he had this very casual approach but I always thought, he was better than that.”

“I get what you mean,” Clary placated her, “To be honest I wasn't that surprised about his reputation because growing up as a mundane... you don't want to know how many boys were like that using their good looks to get laid as much as possible. I was more surprised with how much respect Jace treated me.”

“Not only you,” Izzy piped up while looking around for a waiter to order more drinks, “You should have seen him pace around the infirmary when he brought Clary to the institute. He drove everyone nuts with his 'Why  is she still unconscious? Why could she see through the glamour? How can we not know about her?' and much more.”

“Someone should have recorded it because that doesn't sound like Jace at all.”

“Did I get that right that he had been some kind of player?” Zoé asked.

“You could say so and I thought that this was common knowledge in the Shadow World.”

“Clary, that was just literally slut shaming your fiance.”

“No, it wasn't. I just thought that his reputation was so well known that...”

“To be honest I never cared much about gossip and I only got to see him with Clary and judging from that I would have never imagined that he had been different.”

“For the most of us it was the other way round.”

“Yeah, also we thought that Simon would never get over Clary and then...”

“Wait, I thought, he's just your best friend.”

“He is but they had this short relationship episode after Valentine made Clary and Jace believe, they were siblings,” Maryse added after taking a long sip of her cosmopolitan.

“We definitely need more drinks because Zoé looks so confused about our relationships.”

“I'm not confused but...”

“It's a lot we know.”

“Okay, he had been in a relationship with you and now he's in a long-term relationship with Izzy.”

“After he had been dating Maia for a while.”

“That's true and during that period Jace and I ended up on a very awkward double date which included the revelation that Maia and Jace had a casual encounter once.”

“Clary...., how could you tell that?”

“Maia, it was more embarrassing for him than it was for us and him and I weren't a thing at that time because I was with Simon.”

“If I wouldn't know better I'd assume I just read a script for a weird soap opera. And Izzy was right, we definitely need more alcohol.”

“That's a good plan.”

“So we take another round of drinks here and then we head to the party.”

“That sounds like an amazing idea.”

At the same time at the Angel's Share.

“Jace, do you have a moment?”

“Sure, Jonathan. We didn't have much time to talk earlier. Great you're here.”

“How could I have not come?”

“I guess, that means you also attend the wedding tomorrow.”

“That's what I wanted to talk to you about. I would love to come but I don't know if I can.”

“Why not?”

“Clary and I haven't seen each other for so long and I don't know if I'm still welcome.”

“Jonathan, don't be ridiculous. Hell would either freeze over before Clary wouldn't want you to come to our wedding. She always let you know you're welcome. It would break her heart if you wouldn't be there tomorrow.”

“But she didn't ask me during our phone calls.”

“Because your sister didn't want you to feel pressured. Clary didn't want to rush your decision, that's why she didn't mention it. You're the last living relative she has and I don't want her to feel that she has lost her brother, especially not tomorrow. I don't know what else I can say to you but your sister wants you to be there on the most important day of her life. And I want you be there too as my brother in law to be and I consider you a friend.”

“You do?”

Jonathan looked quite puzzled at Jace.

“Okay, considering how we met and how things played out in the beginning I wouldn't have considered it as possible but things have changed.”

“Exactly and golden boy over here also became friends with me, so nothing is impossible anymore,” Simon piped up.

“There are still days I ask myself why we became friends. Also, you know that our friendship will be over and you'll end up on my death list if you ever hurt Izzy.”

“Jace, she may be your little sister but you know she can hold your own.”

“Yeah, because her two older brothers taught her how to do it.”

“That's true. So you better put a ring on her finger soon before we'll make you do it.”

“Alec, I really thought we were over forced and arranged marriages.”

“It's not an arranged one but we could definitely enforce your efforts to marry Izzy.”

“What efforts?”

“You shouldn't use the institute's secured network to look for engagement rings,” Underhill interjected while making his way towards the bar.

“You're spying on me?”

“No but we had a minor security breach and we had to check all network protocols, so... but from what we've seen, good taste.”

All of them broke out laughing about Simon's embarrassed and shocked facial expression.

“Don't worry. We know how happy Izzy is with you and this is all that matters.”

“Jace is right and stop looking so shocked. You're even paler than usual. Let's get you another shot of whatever you prefer,” Alec said and dragged Simon with him to the bar.

“You really think I should attend the wedding?” Jonathan still sounded insecure.

“I can't tell you what to do or not, that's completely up to you but I know for sure that Clary will be the happiest person to see you there. Have some more drinks, sleep some hours over it but it won't change the fact that you're a part of this family.”

“I'll keep that in mind.”

A few hours later at midnight.

“Alec, I need my phone.”

“Why?”

“It's Clary's birthday and I promised her, I would give her a call if I could.”

“Only for her birthday, not to set up a secret date to see each other tonight.”

“As if we would... I only want to wish her a happy birthday.”

“You know you could also do that in a few hours.”

“Yeah, for sure when everything is going to be completely wedding crazed. Just give me my phone.”

“Okay, okay, calm down.”

“Bride Protection Squad, Izzy speaking.”

“Iz, why am I not surprised you have Clary's phone?”

“Jace, because someone has to make sure that your wifey to be won't constantly text you. And I can assure you that Clary is completely fine.”

“I know she's fine but I'd like to wish her a happy birthday.”

“I can tell her.”

“Izzy, just give her the phone.”

“You won't lure her away from the party so that you can meet up for some secret canoodling.”

“Do you really think I would?”

“Jace, we all know you and Clary... so yeah, I really think you would. But here you go. Clary, put that tequila down. Your clingy fiance wants to talk to you.”

Jace could hear from Clary's giggling that she was more than tipsy.

“Hey gorgeous, what's up? Do you miss me?”

“Of course I do but that's not why I have to disturb your last evening as a free individual?”

“You know that being married doesn't mean you'll be handcuffed to me for the rest our lives.”

“Can you please go outside? It's so loud there.”

“Yeah, just give me a second.”

“Clary, where  are you going?”

“Outside for a second because I can't hear myself thinking in here.”

“Don't you dare to leave for a secret date.”

“It's just a phone call. Calm down.”

“Why is everyone thinking, we're sneaking away from our parties?”

“No idea. So, what can I do for you?”

“Did you forget what day it is?”

“Oh, damn it.”

“Happy Birthday, Miss Fairchild and happy 2 years anniversary.”

“Why anniversary? We're not married yet.”

“Okay, you should slow your drinking because apparently you forgot that we actually met on your birthday.”

“Oh yeah, you were the rude guy who ran me over and who only I could see... but thank you.”

“Are you enjoying your party? At least it sounds so.”

“I do.”

“No unpleasant surprises?”

“Thankfully not. And how is yours?”

“No unpleasant surprises either but I miss you.”

“I miss you too.”

“But we'll see each other soon.”

“I know. But I'll better go before the girls drag me back inside. I'm already surprised Izzy let me take the call.”

“Yeah, me too. Enjoy the rest of the night and see you in a few hours.”

“I love you Jace and I can't wait to see you.”

“I love you too.”

Clary ended the call and she turned around to find herself confronted with a smirking Izzy.

“I was about to ask if you're finished. Come on, we need to celebrate the loss of your freedom.”

“Why is everyone of you treating marriage as if it would be some kind of imprisonment?”

“I thought that would be a common thing.”

“Iz, you're literally destroying romance now.”

“No, we're the destroyers of tequila tonight.”

Hours later Clary couldn't find any more sleep. She didn't know if it was her nervousness or the snoring of the some girls around her in the living room of Herondale Manor. She stretched herself and slowly sneaked out into the garden. It wouldn't take long till the sun would go up. Clary took a deep breath while taking a look over the already arranged tables and chairs in the garden. Even after months of preparation it still seemed a bit unimaginable to her she would marry today. She was lucky she had a calm moment to herself  to collect her thoughts.

“Clary.”

She had nearly reached the aviary and she turned around to see who had been calling her name and she froze on the spot when she saw who it was.

“Ithuriel? How is that possible? I thought that...”

“Raziel brought me back. Seems like he missed someone to argue with.”

“I felt so guilty for your death and...”

“It wasn't your fault. Raziel brought me back after you lost your memories. I would have never let that happen to you. But Raziel was never fond of the gift I've given to you.”

“Why you're here? Normally when one of you appears it doesn't mean anything good.”

“You tell me. I came here because you subconsciously called out to us.”

Clary sighed.

“I guess, I'm afraid something will happen... every single time Jace and I thought, we could be together, we were ripped apart and after the last time...”

“And yet you always found your way back to each other even when you couldn't remember this world.”

“Speaking of, I have to ask you something. The paintings I made which in hindsight showed events of significance for Jace and me, that I saw him in my dreams though I couldn't remember any details about him, all those times when I felt I wasn't alone, was that you? I mean the connection we share through your blood?”

“It was only a part of it. The bond you and Jace have with each other is so powerful that not even Raziel could break it up completely.”

“Why did I get it all back?”

“Various reasons. Jace who prayed everyday for your return, your mom who tried to reason with Raziel and I reminded him he took away a gift I've given to you. If you wouldn't have gotten your sight back during the exhibition, Jace would have been deruned the very next day. I told Raziel that this punishment which was meant for you had hurt and continued to hurt way too many people around.”

“You were there?”

“We were. Raziel hat to see for himself how far things had gone. There couldn't have been any more loss. And I had to make sure he would keep his promise to let your memories resurface.”

Clary couldn't help herself but shed some tears of relief.

“When I could see him again, I immediately felt I knew him before I realized it was him whom I had drawn so many times. I couldn't reach it but so much was still there and all of that because Jace and I share this special connection through your blood.”

“Clary, the bond between you and Jace is so much more than the amount of pure angel blood you share. It's unique and no matter how hard any force tried to tear you apart, they didn't succeed. And this is what should give you hope and trust. What you share doesn't only exist between the two of you but will also extend to your very own family. And I need you to trust the strength of your love that no matter what will happen or come towards you, you will get through it together.”

“So what we're having will endanger our family or more precisely our kids as well. We can't catch a break, can we?”

“You know there will always be dark forces trying to destroy the good in the world, you've seen it yourself. It's not my place to tell you what will happen but when the time comes, you will find your strength in that unique bond and within your loved ones. And I'll always watch over you.”

“It may be a stupid question but...”

“No, it isn't. Your mother is very proud of you and she'll be with you every step of the way.”

“Then why I'm so afraid?”

“Your life is about to profoundly change shortly and it will continue to change. There are great challenges ahead of you but they will lead to even greater things in your life and not only in yours.”

“Will I see you again?”

“When the time is right.”

And with that Ithuriel vanished again. Clary took a deep breath.

“Clary, gosh, here you are. Izzy woke all of us up because you were gone and you decided to take an early walk through the garden.”

She turned around and saw Maia coming towards her.

“I'm sorry. I couldn't sleep anymore.”

“We were worried you had vanished. Let's get you back inside before Izzy freaks out completely about how she should break those news to Jace. And we all could need to doze at least a bit more.”