Bitches and Choices

You know sometimes when you cry laying down and the tears run from your eyes, down the side of your face, by your ears and finally to into your hair? That was Rox every morning and all day, and she hated the feeling of wet hair, but she did not have the energy to care.

For an entire week, this was Rox. She stared at the wall trying not to think, to not be complicated, and just breathe. That wasn't working. She thought about Amanda and what she could have done to save her. She thought about Daniel and how stupid and good she felt kissing him. About what Dr. Whitaker really wanted with her. About how she was going to survive in this hell.

Rox's endless thoughts were interrupted by a knock at her door in her fifth day of pondering. It was Mila and she was crying. Rox thought it weird that something could make Mila cry and that she was crying at her door. Rox took a remote and pressed a red button and the door opened.

Mila plopped down beside Rox on her bed and continued to cry. Rox sat awkwardly, not knowing what to say since they weren't really friends anymore. Mila broke the silence.

"I thought we could mourn together."

Rox, confused, asked, "What do you mean?"

Mila blew her nose in a balled up, obviously overused tissue, "Leonard." Rox knew then and Mila didn't have to say anything else. "I'm sorry.", Rox condoled.

"I heard about Amanda," Mila continued, "She was so cute; it's so sad. At least you still have Daniel."

Rox rolled her eyes and sighed. "We're not. . ."

"Oh, sorry. What happened?", Mila asked.

"It's complicated.", Rox answered simply.

"Isn't it always.", Mila said. She sat up and took both of Rox hands in hers. "Rox, you gotta promise me that you'll have my back and I'll have yours. We are really all we have."

Now, Rox remembered herself saying this to Daniel and look how they turned out. She questioned why Mila would come to her now, now that Dr. Whitaker's use of Daniel had failed. Rox didn't trust Mila to kiss her ass.

"I promise."

At dinner, Mila sat across from Rox as they ate. Well, Mila ate but Rox was disgusted at the sight of Mila's tears falling down her cheeks and dropping into her food, which she then ate. When Mila asked if Rox was hungry, she simply shook her head no.

After eating, Rox walked down the dark hallways by herself and heard a whisper. Daniel stepped out of the shadows smiling.

"What?", Rox asked.

Daniel wrapped his arms around Rox, "Well hello to you too. I haven't seen you all week." He gave her a light kiss on the neck before she pushed him away.

"You still feeling bad?", Daniel asked. "We're not on good terms.", Rox clarified.

"Then what was -", Daniel started but Rox already knew what he was going to say. "Kissing you was a mistake.". Daniel's eyes waved and his mouth stayed closed not knowing what to say.

Rox walked away. "Where are you going?", he called down the hall.

"Ask your boyfriend Whitaker; he'll know."

The blackness faded to a light grey when Quinton opened his eyes. He jumped when he saw Rox standing over him. "I come in peace.", She said and pulled up the covers on his hospital bed, "I just wanna talk."

"First, I apologize for kicking you in the head. Heard you got a concussion. You did kill her but you're just a pawn really, and you did it nicely anyway."