Don't Leave Nobody but the Baby

"I'm not even gonna take a shower, I'm going to sleep right here, right now.", Amanda said with conviction as she fell down into her bed next to Rox. Rox laughed at her sister's exhaustion. They had been training for her fight for the past few days and Amanda continuously complained that she was so sore that if she had to take another step she would crumble.

Even though she said that she was tired, Amanda continued to talk. "So did you see Quinton watching us practice?", she asked.

"Yeah, it doesn't matter though. It's not like he could steal anything.", Rox said staring up at the ceiling.

"I just can't believe I have to fight him tomorrow. What would you do if this were you and Daniel?", Amanda asked.

"It wouldn't be. They would never make him fight 'cause he's a doctor. If it really were, I would do it. And we're not a couple."

Amanda sprung up. "What, you broke up?! Why? He's cute and sweet."

Rox laughed, "That doesn't have anything to do with it. Speaking of it, I'm sorry that I said Quinton doesn't care about you; I was just talking about how Daniel doesn't really care about me. And I guess you have a taste for Storm men; Daniel's Eli's brother."

Amanda smiled, "I knew I liked him. Does he ever talk about him?"

"No, he gets upset or sad whenever I mention him so I don't. Eli once talked about Daniel like he was dead so I don't think they ended on good terms about something before Eli died."

After a moment of silence, Amanda asked what was truly on her mind. "Do you think I'm gonna win?"

Rox looked Amanda in her eyes. "I hope that you do." Rox saw the red grids appear. She forced herself to look up at the ceiling. "Amanda, don't say anything.". Rox refused to have The Administration intrude on every aspect of what little was left of her life. Rox reached into her pocket and pulled out the little black bag Madam Efe gave to her. "Take half of everything that's in here and don't use it until tomorrow.", Rox instructed her.

"Rox, what's wrong? There's a guard at the door. What's going on?", Amanda asked confused. Rox got out her bed and walked toward the door. "They put a kind of tracker in my head. They can see everything but I don't want them to so that's why I'm looking at the ceiling.". Rox calmed her sister's nerves before she could throw out more questions. "No, don't worry everything's fine. Come here."

Rox felt around for Amanda and embraced her, realizing that they hadn't hugged in a while and this could be the last time. "You know I love you more than anything?", Rox asked. Amanda shook her head, "I love you too."

Daniel stood behind the doorway to the arena peeking in on Rox. She was sitting in the front row, in all red, daydreaming. He notice that she daydreamed more, probably since her life was the nightmare now. He noticed how she had changed since she came to The Base.

She always walked around looking over her shoulder and never gave warmth to anyone; like everyone was a mutant. Daniel knew that was his fault. He knew that Rox wanted nothing to do with him, but he truly was in love with her and couldn't help himself so he went to sit by her. When he sat down, Rox glared at his audacity but didn't speak. He didn't dare try to defend himself.

When Rox saw Amanda enter, she ran over to her. "Did you take the stuff yet?", Rox asked urgently. "No,", Amanda replied, "I just mixed it together." Rox was relieved. "Okay, it's gonna start in a few minutes, so put the powder in your mouth and go drink it by a water fountain.", Rox said pushing her off but Amanda refused. "Wait, what is this stuff?", Amanda asked. "It's just a huge adrenaline rush. I tried some myself; you'll be fine."