Euphoria

It took a few days for Rox and Amanda to get accustomed to living at The Base. Rox kept waking up at the crack of dawn with nothing to do. She didn't have to work for food or fight any mutants anymore. She felt free, especially since she was finally able to take care of Amanda. Amanda even made a few friends, even though they were a few years older than her. Amanda was the youngest person at The Base.

Rox had made a couple of friends too, not as many as Amanda thought; she was never really good at that. She met Mila McMillan in the washing hall. It was an awkward meeting, in that they were half-naked when they met, but Mila didn't seem to mind. She was quircky at best but Rox couldn't complain as she was one of the few people that talked to her. Everyone else seemed to be repulsed by her. She noticed that almost no one wore yellow clothing too. The only ones that did were the injured, sick, or old. The weak.

The other was Leonard Beaumont, Mila's boyfriend. They hadn't come to the base together, but met there.

Rox walked into the common room with Mila and Leonard and stopped, looking for a place to sit. She sighed when she saw them sit down at a table leaving a spot right next to Daniel for Rox. Mila sat down, took a bite of her bread and looked up at Rox. "Come on Rox!', she shouted. At the sound of her name, Daniel looked up and back down at his food, disappointed.

Rox awkwardly sat don between Daniel and Mila. Everything was better when she saw Amanda laughing across the room. Rox got up excitedly, "I'll be right back."

Amanda was surrounded by people who seemed to be two or three years older than her. Rox didn't like any of them, one especially, a guy who looked almost Rox's age who had his hand on Amanda's leg. "Amanda, can I talk to you for a second?", Rox whispered interrupting their conversation. Amanda got up and irritably asked, "What, Roxanne?"

"Roxanne?. . .I. . .just wanted to know how everything's been. How you're doing?"

"God! I'm fine! I-', Amanda stopped and smiled when that boy came up behind her and put his hand on her shoulder. "Well who's this Amanda?", he asked.

"Who are you?", Rox asked.

"Quinton."

"I'm her older sister.", Rox answered. He happily stuck out his hand and said, "Well it sure is nice to meet Amanda's sexy older sister." Rox didn't respond and walked back to her seat.

Mila reached over Rox and asked Daniel, "Do you think it's gonna be heavy today?". Daniel didn't speak but shook his head no.

Mila leaped with excitement. "We can get euphoria today. I'm two weeks past my limit, Daniel."

"That's really good.", he said.

Rox interjected, "Wait, what are we doing?"

"It'll be a beautiful surprise."

For the rest of the day, Rox did her assigned work: washing clothes, cleaning rooms, cooking, etc.

Late at night, Mila came knocking on her door. Rox barely got a chance to say anything before she snatched her and dragged her down the hallway. They sat in a waiting room outside Dr. Storm's office. "Seriously, Mila, what are we doing?"

"I know that you've had it rough these last few weeks and I'm really exited for you to have a little relaxation. It'll help you on your path to recovery to strength."

Strength. That's all these people talked about. It's what they lived by. If you weren't a physical, mental, and emotional rock, you were less than, nothing.

"Ms. McMillan...Ms. Martin.", Daniel greeted them in the dark waiting room. "Are you ready?" Mila got up but Rox held out her hand, "Wait a minute. I'm not doing anything until I know what this is. Euphoria?"