"I'm doing good," I say after a while. "Dad is...okay. You know I won't lie to you and say he's fine. He's not but he's dealing with it. And Landon...fuck. I'm trying so hard to keep him in line."

My jaw ticks, a headache coming on at the thought of what a fuck show the past year has been with him.

"He's changed," I admit hoarsely. "He's so fucking cold and detached. Between me and Dad we're trying to pull him out of whatever he's in but it's hard. He's self-sufficient so we can't even say he's destroying his life. You know he's a genius. He's been falling apart since we lost you but he managed straight A's as usual. Valedictorian. Harvard Law. It's kind of laughable he's becoming a lawyer because being an asshole comes with the status. Said that in four years he expects to invest in HC Holdings and own a portion of the firm. He'll take care of all the logistics and shit. His words were that he'll see us in four years so I don't even know if he plans on visiting us from university. I think we're losing him, Mom. He acts like he's not part of our family anymore."

I sigh in frustration. I tried so fucking hard with him. I thought I was tough to deal with but Landon is worse. Worse in the sense that he knows he doesn't need us. He's all business. He does his shit and stays away from us completely. He barely talks to us. Just stays in his room studying. It's not like he's being an asshole on purpose. He's just different now. He grew up too fast and feels too far gone to catch up with. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because death changes people but I didn't expect it to hit Landon this way.

"I wish you were here, Mom. We're doing okay but you'd make it better. You'd know what to do."

I rub the grass again, leaning my forehead on the gravestone. The coolness is a slap in the face because I should be feeling her warmth instead. I can't believe it's been a year and a half since I've felt it.

"I love you a little more everyday," I whisper. "Don't stop watching over me, okay? You must be doing one hell of a job for me to still be here. I know you're with me, just like you promised."

The wind picks up around me again and I close my eyes with a smile. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm going to believe that's her version of a hug. I'll take it. A thousand fucking times over. I kiss the gravestone and get to my feet again.

"Bye, Mama."

I reluctantly head back because the world is still moving forward even if she's gone. I wish it had stopped along with her breaths but I know she wouldn't want that. Only fucking reason I wake up everyday.

That and the girl I walk towards now, the one leaning against my car and watching me with a smile. My gaze drops, appreciating the skin-tight red dress that molds to her every curve. She watches me with similar heat and I barely suppress a smile. The fire in her gaze used to burn me but now it sparks me to life. My firecracker.

"You should wear a suit more often," Olivia suggests when I'm close enough to hear her. Her teeth toy with her bottom lip.

"So you keep saying." I stop in front of her, thumb freeing her lip so I can lean down to kiss it instead. I feel her hands take hold of my tie to pull me closer and I don't stop until my body is pressing hers against the car. My hands find her waist, gripping tightly as my tongue works hers. A new kind of heat courses through me and I groan, pulling away. "Think we have time?"

"The ceremony is in an hour." She laughs. "No way."

"Come on, Livvy." I nip her earlobe. "Since when are you a good girl?"

She laughs again and when she pulls back, her eyes are dancing with amusement. "You play dirty."

"I am dirty, baby. Name a position and I'll show you."