Chapter 16 - Olivia

I fall face-first on my bed and throw an arm over my eyes. I haven't slept or eaten anything in over twenty-four hours. I'm exhausted like I've never been, after what was the most draining weekend of my life.

Thanksgiving dinner was a disaster. Worse than a disaster. Even though Lucas and Uncle Jax stormed out halfway through we still heard their screaming match outside. Every hateful and spiteful word that left their mouths made the rest of us wince and we'd all looked at each other gravely. Aunt Em's reaction was probably the worst — the sheer way her face had contorted and cracked before she ran after them made me feel like my chest was being ripped apart. The rest of us waited, not sure what else to do, until finally Aunt Em and Uncle Jax came back inside the house. They immediately went upstairs and it didn't take a genius to figure out they were fighting too. But I couldn't find it in me to worry about that, not when Lucas was nowhere to be found.

Before I realized what I was doing I pushed out of my seat and ran outside, and my stomach sank to the floor at the sight of him leaning against the gates like he'd been ripped open. I couldn't stop myself from going to him, from letting my guard down and holding him if even for a moment. But it was the way he held me back that said it all. He'd clutched onto me so tightly I could barely breathe. He held me like he needed me.

The moment was gone just as quick. I'd felt the way he locked up so suddenly like he realized what he was doing. He was angry all over again, demanding that we pretend it never happened. Then he left and I didn't know what to do. None of us knew what to do. Our families had packed up dinner and headed home not long after that. I apologized profusely to Beck for the train wreck that he didn't seem to know what to make of. He was stunned, but he also felt guilty, saying it was his fault that Lucas lost it. He asked for his space and I didn't blame him. I let him make the trip back to campus on his own and hung around for another day at my parents' house. We barely said a word to each other the whole time. I'm kind of grateful that I get to be here, in the sanctuary of my dorm.

But what comes next?

Lucas is still living across from me. We still share a class and have to work on our project. Just because thanksgiving is behind us now doesn't mean Lucas is behind me. He's in my life whether I like it or not as everyday the lines blur a little more. Everyday I'm torn between hating him and wanting him.

There's a knock on my door and I sit up, calling out a, "Come in."

Grace walks inside with a tentative smile and a glass in her hand. "I made you some dalgona iced coffee."

"Thanks bébé," I sigh gratefully and take it from her outstretched hands. She watches me as I take a sip.

"Are you okay? You seemed distracted when you got here."

"Yeah. It was just an overwhelming weekend."

"Thanksgiving didn't go well?"

"Understatement of the century," I confirm. "Yours?"

"It was okay," She shrugs. "Mom and Dad both worked late at the hospital so it was quiet."

"Sometimes quiet is good." I try to offer.

"Sometimes," She agrees. "How's Lucas? He looked angrier than usual which is saying something."

"I can't say I blame him."

"Wow. Really?"

I don't blame her surprise at my defending him. She was there the day I got home from Uncle Nate's gym and I'd ranted to her about how much of a dick Lucas was. I'm doing a full one-eighty on her here.

"You had to be there," I keep it at that. It's bad enough Beck witnessed this weekend. Our families are going through enough without having an audience on top of it all. I quickly change the subject. "I need to let off steam. Want to come with me to the dance studio?"