Chapter 18- Afternoon Lunch... part 2

Start from the beginning

I had to keep myself from rolling my eyes at the obvious lie Jacob’s mother had just told. I could see right through Jacob’s mother and I hoped Jacob could too. I glanced up towards his tall form as he stood staring at his mother with questioning eyes. My brow furrowed in worry as I watched him look to be considering her explanation. Was he really going to believe what his mother just said? I thought to myself as I glanced back towards Gabby in panic before snapping my eyes towards Jacob’s mother again. 

“She’s just here as a friend of the families dear, now be a gentleman and go escort her over,” she said sweetly to Jacob. My eyes slid to Jacob, who was still standing up in front of the table, just as Jacob turned to look at me, “Are you okay with Gabby joining us for lunch, if not we can leave now and get lunch somewhere else Mia just tell me if this is to uncomfortable for you,” Jacob asked me which made me smile inside. He was willing to leave his parents lunch for me.

I thought about his question for a second before quickly looking at the awaiting blonde out the corner of my eye then giving a discreet glance towards Jacob’s mother. I really didn’t want to be around either of them and if Jacob was willing to leave for me then why not just go? I thought to myself. 

But just as that thought entered my mind Jacob’s mother gave me this look as if she was challenging me and before I could stop myself I blurted, “No,” with all the confidence I could gather without sounding harsh. With my eyes still placed on Jacob’s mother I continued on, “No,” I said again a little more sweetly but this time slid my gaze back to Jacob, “It’s completely fine, we can stay. Like your mother said she’s just a family friend now,” I said with a smile before twisting back in my seat; Gabby nor Jacob’s mother would scare me away.

Looking over towards the end of the table, I caught Lauren staring at me with raised eyebrows. I had completely forgot that Lauren and Derek were even at the table as I was too consumed with dealing with Gabby and Jacob’s mother and by the look on Lauren’s face I could tell she finally understood what I was talking about when I said Gabby and Jacob’s mother were pure evil.  

Lauren silently mouthed the word “Wow,” to me just as Jacob walked back towards the table with Gabby following behind him. I mouthed back, “I know,” to Lauren as Jacob took his seat next to me again and Gabby took the last seat next to his mother which just so happened to be right across from Jacob. 

I watched in annoyance as she turned towards Jacob’s mother and gave her a quick hug, “Thanks for inviting me, it was so nice of you,” she said with a big smile before giving a wave to Jacob’s father who had been talking to Derek. 

Getting Derek’s attention she gave him a greeting as well before looking over to Lauren, “So Derek you finally decided to actually date one girl this summer, well you must be quite a catch to tame him,” she said to Lauren with a grin, “I’m Gabby by the way,” she introduced herself to Lauren with a wave. 

Lauren gave me a look as she hesitated before introducing herself as well, “Lauren, I’m Mia’s friend,” she said back to Gabby and as if the mention of my name made her finally remember I was at the table too, Gabby finally acknowledged me. 

“Oh right, Mia,” she said as she brought her gaze to me, “How nice to see you again,” she said in what I could clearly tell was false kindness and a fake smile. 

Not really wanting to greet her, I gave a quick nod, “Gabby,” I said simply with a fake smile of my own. If she could play that game then so could I. 

Jacob’s mother chimed in quickly after mine and Gabby’s exchange drawing all eyes towards her, “Well, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am ready to order. Honey can you get our waiter now?” she directed the last part to her husband.