Chapter 11- Invite to Meet the Parents

It’s been three weeks since Jacob asked me to be his girlfriend, three amazing weeks. Everyday I spend with Jacob I discreetly pinch myself trying to make sure this amazing guy and the feelings I have for him are truly real. 

There hasn’t been a dull moment between Jacob and I since that day on the beach. Everyday he surprises me by showing me new places and things that I have never once experiences in all my years of living. 

I’ve gotten even more confident around him, never once second guessing myself about my appearance or expressing my feeling towards Jacob. However, I have been a little slow in progressing our intimacy level. We haven’t went any further then what we did that day at the beach. 

But even though I haven’t made any moves to take our relationship even further intimately, neither has Jacob. He hasn’t once tried to push me into doing anything I wasn’t comfortable with and has been a total gentleman and patient with me.  

It wasn’t that I didn’t want to go further in our relationship, but rather I wanted every new intimate moment I experience with Jacob to be special and memorable. I wanted to always and forever remember how that specific moment happen, what smells were in the air when it happened, the weather, all of it. I wanted those moments to be special just like the vacant spot deep under the wooden pier down at the beach. I wanted to remember how Jacob made me feel every time.

“HEY!” Lauren said as she slammed her hand on the top of the outside coffee table I was sitting next to, effectively bringing me out of my wonderful thought and back to the present.

Jumping almost ten feet out of my lounge chair, I looked to Lauren with wide eyes, “God Lauren you scared the crap out of me. Why are you yelling I’m right in front of you?” I said a little loudly to her.

Lauren gave a loud giggle in return as she took the lounge chair next to mine, “I’m yelling because my past five attempts to get your attention didn’t work. Does your ignoring me have anything to do with a certain guy named Jacob?” Lauren teased as she grinned over at me.

I looked at Lauren a little shyly before glancing back at the view before me, “I’m sorry if you thought I was ignoring you, I just can’t stop thinking about how happy I am and how wonderful Jacob is. He’s like too good to be true, I keep thinking I’m going to wake up at any moment and realize everything that has happened these past few weeks have only been a dream,” I confessed to Lauren. 

I tore my eyes away from the view in front of me and glanced back at a silent Lauren. She was now looking out towards the ocean, but not in a dreamy way like I had been. Instead Lauren had a sad expression on her face making me wonder what had happened to make her mood change so quickly.

“Hey,” I said getting my best friends attention. Lauren tried to hide her sadness with a fake smile, but I knew her better and I wasn’t buying it.

“Hey, what’s wrong, what’s going through your head right now?” I asked her in concern.

Lauren’s fake smile dropped instantly and her bottom lip started to wobble slightly like she was trying not to cry. I quickly got up from my spot and went to sit next to her, wrapping my arms around her in a comforting gesture.

Almost immediately she started to cry, “Mia, I’m sorry I’m bringing your mood down, it’s just... I was sitting here listening to you say how happy you are and how amazing Jacob is to you and it just hit a touchy spot for me,” she told me through her silent tears.

As soon as she confessed that, I instantly cursed myself. I had been sitting here talking about my relationship with Jacob completely forgetting about Lauren’s feelings. The day we both went out to meet Jacob and Derek to get answers on how serious they were about us, unlike me who had gotten great news along with a boyfriend out of it, Lauren’s news wasn’t so great.