Chapter 17- Afternoon Lunch... part 1

Enjoy- Whines8

*********************************************************************************

It was now around twelve noon and I had just finished retelling the events of yesterday to Lauren over coffee. I told her every detail, knowing that if I left anything out Lauren would surely find a way to drag it out of me. I saved the little information about Gabby, Jacob’s ex-girlfriend, until last and as expected Lauren had tones to say about it. 

The moment I said the word ex-girlfriend to Lauren, her eyebrows raised dramatically and her eyes narrowed as she listened to me explain how devious and annoying Gabby was. As soon as I had finished talking, in a matter of a few minutes, Lauren had got up from the breakfast island, took out her phone, called Derek and told him to make sure he was ready by one o’clock. Then she turned to me quickly before walking towards where I was and without warning pulled me up from my seat and began to tug me back down the hall towards my room.  

I stared at her with confusion trying not to spill my coffee as my crazy best friend pulled me along.  

Once we were inside she rushed back to my door and yelled over her shoulder, “Well hurry up and get ready we have to meet Jacob and his parents for lunch by one-thirty right?”  

I caught on quickly to what she had just said and immediately placed my coffee down on my nightstand before rushing to stop her in her tracks before she could escape, “Lauren what do you mean we have to meet Jacob and his parents for lunch?” I asked suspiciously as my eyes narrowed at her.  

Lauren didn’t waver under my questioning eyes as she twisted fully towards me and placed her hands on her hips, “Mia, you and I both know that when it comes to confrontation you fail miserably in that department and I can already tell that this Gabby chick is trying to get under you skin and start something. So I’m coming along to make sure she doesn’t try anything. Plus I want to see this so called ex-girlfriend of Jacob’s for myself anyway. Don’t worry best friend I have your back,” Lauren said seriously and I crossed my arms under my chest as I glared at her slightly offended. 

“What do you mean I don’t do well with confrontation? I can defend myself if need be,” I retorted confidently making Lauren shake her head in disagreement. 

“Mia, I’ve known you for a long time and I can’t recall you ever getting into an argument, let alone a cat fight with anyone. Your way to nice Mia that’s why I’m going so if this Gabby chick says anything stupid I can put her in her place.”

“Lauren it’s just a simple lunch with his parents, and besides you can’t just invite yourself to lunch,” I stated and as if right on cue my phone sounded from my nightstand and I glanced at it curiously before picking it up. It was a text from Jacob telling me that he can’t wait to see me in a bit and that he invited Derek and it’s cool if I wanted to bring Lauren along with me. 

Looking up from my phone I sent an accusing stare towards Lauren, “Did you tell Derek to ask Jacob if you guys could come?” I asked her and Lauren gave a sly grin before shrugging her shoulders. 

“I may have said something along those lines, so now that I am invited to lunch with you guys I need to get ready and so do you by the way,” she said as she went to walk out of my room again and down the hall only to be stopped by me once more. 

“Lauren you really don’t need to come just for me, Gabby won’t even be there,” I told her but that didn’t seem to phase her. Instead she shrugged again before continuing down the hall. When She got to the door of her room she looked back down the hall towards me, “Even if she’s not going to be there, I still need to go. From what I gathered from you, Jacob’s mother sounds just as horrible as that ex of his and I won’t allow anyone disrespecting my best friend,” she said in all seriousness again before a smile slipped onto her face, “Okay I’ll be ready in thirty.”