CAPITOLO VENTI- Maury

"Can I talk to you? Talk to you bout something new?"- Brent Faiyaz.

The Bronx, New York📍
2:oo pm
November 12th '18

It had been a week since the club night fiasco and for the girls, life seemed to be moving very fast. They had both secured jobs, Rheah at Maria's bakery and Cataleya at the restaurant Maria had referred her too. Now that they both had a solid financial cover, gained the trust of the sister and mother, the 'Johnson sisters' could work on getting closer to the Anderson brothers with ease.

"I still can't believe you're actually going to do it." Cataleya voices, laying on Rheah's bed watching her get ready.

"Hey, we gotta fulfil this mission by any means necessary," Rheah peers at her sister through her reflection in the mirror as she continues to fix her hair. "Besides, it's not like I can turn back now, Ms Maria already knows."

"See now that's crazy. I still can't believe she put two and two together so quickly! We may need to watch out for her too." Cataleya chuckles though she was lowkey serious.

"Mhm," Rheah nods, "I can still remember the moment she asked me about Michael being Cienna's dad. I swear, my heart almost fell out of my chest!" She laughs, her mind retracing back to the club night a week ago...

Maria had just finished chewing up Janaé and like the typical parental Caribbean mother she was, she didn't miss the opportunity to lecture the sisters as well.

"Now I know I may not be your mother ladies, but the moment I welcomed you two into my home today you became apart of the family," She states. "That being said, I will always care about your wellbeing and safety just as much as I do for my own children. So make this the first and the last time you two sneak around with dis pickney and get ah yuh self into trouble!"

"Yes, Ma'am." The sisters take in her scolding.

"Alright," Maria nods, "Y'all can go to bed now."

Instantly, the girls follow instructions and turn on their heels towards the stairs.

"Wait!" Maria's voice stops them in their tracks. "Stay here for a minute, Rheah, I want to talk to you about something. Cataleya, you go on up with Naè, you two can share her room tonight."

Cataleya and Janaé look towards Rheah a little confused. Nevertheless, they go over to hug Maria good night before they head up to bed. Rheah's eyes follow their retreating figures until her worried gaze shifts back to the older woman. Maria pats the seat next to her on the sofa for Rheah to join her. Slowly, Rheah's feet move towards Maria, taking a seat next to her.

"Why you look so frightened? I'm not gonna do you anything nor are you in trouble." Maria chuckles at Rheah's skittish behaviour.

"Oh!" Rheah heaves a sigh of relief, "I thought you were gonna tell me off because I'm the oldest and you know, as a mother I should have known better."

"That's true," Maria smiles, nodding, "But you are still a baby in my eyes, dear so don't worry, I would never put extra pressure on you for nothing. The other two are both big girls, they can take responsibility for themselves."

Rheah mirrors her smile, "Thank you...So what did you want to talk to me about?"

Silence falls between the two as Maria's careful gaze studies Rheah closely.

"My son, Michael. He's Cienna's father isn't he?"

Rheah freezes like a deer caught in headlights. Her smile vanishes as her bulging eyes stare at Maria.