Important Math Test

Goode High School

Percy sighed, glancing up at his guard. The Avenger was wearing normal civilian attire and seemed intent on escorting the teen into the building. "Are you going to have to follow me to all of my classes?"

"No." Clint frowned. Though the Avenger didn't mind dressing in normal clothes, he wasn't excited to leave his bow behind in order to blend in at school. "I get to hang out in the school office all day."

"Lucky you," the teen muttered sarcastically.

Hawkeye laughed. "Honestly, I'll probably play games on my phone. I just have to be there in case you try to leave."

"I already told you guys that I can't miss anymore school. Why would I say that just to ditch out?"

Clint shrugged. "It wouldn't be the first time. Now, get to class."

"You're not my dad."

~~~

The teenage boy fidgeted. He hated being a new student, even if it was just for one day. He'd rather not have to deal with the hassle: feeling left behind in every class, desperately trying to make new friends, seeing so many new faces. He wished he could've just stayed home. Or better yet, gone back to his school in Queens. Not that Goode High was bad, it was just. . . different.

The boy remembered what his mentor had said. "We need someone on the inside, someone who can blend in. This is important. Can I trust you?" 

Of course, the boy had nodded vigorously. He was absolutely up to the job, and desperate to prove himself to his often-dismissive mentor. He just wished it wasn't so nerve-wracking. All those students staring him down with their curious eyes. The boy shivered. He wished this day could be over already.

~~~

Percy walked into his first class - English - and found an unfamiliar boy sitting in the desk next to his. "Uh, hi," the demigod greeted. 

"Hi," the boy waved awkwardly. 

"Are you new here?"

He let out a shaky exhale. "Um, yeah. Is it obvious?"

"Eh. You look nervous. And I didn't recognize you."

"Oh, yeah, right. Makes sense. And yeah, I am super nervous right now."

Percy held out a hand. "I'm Percy."

"Peter." The boys shook hands. 

Paul walked into the room right as the bell rang. "Alright, class. Please get out your books. Let's discuss last night's reading."

~~~

Percy and Peter had quickly hit it off, becoming excellent friends. To speed the process along, the boys had most of their classes together, excluding science. Percy had biology and Peter had chemistry; though their classrooms were side by side. 

The demigod knew how anxiety-inducing being a new student could be, so he took the time to show Peter to each of his classes and make sure he didn't get lost. The day seemed to speed by, and soon enough, it was time for lunch.

Peter shuffled and fidgeted as he and Percy made their way toward the cafeteria. Percy was also fidgeting, but that was due to his ADHD, not nerves. Eventually, the distracted teen took notice of his new friend's worried expression.

"Want to sit with me at lunch?" Percy asked. He'd completely forgotten to ask, just assuming that Peter would follow him. Oops.

Peter sighed in relief. "Yeah, that would be awesome. Thanks."