Interrogation Time

Avengers Tower

Peter led Percy to the top floor of the Avengers headquarters, where the group was waiting to meet them.

"He's here," Steve said.

Natasha narrowed her eyes. "Where's Clint?"

"Probably still fighting with my principal," Percy said.

The Avengers exchanged glances. "Is he another threat?" Natasha asked.

"What? Oh, poor choice of words. Nah, he just didn't want me cutting class." 

Peter laughed. "Yeah, he looked pretty mad. But not, like, in a way where he was gonna hurt someone or anything. More like when a teacher gets mad that a couple of students are skipping class and leaving school in the middle of the day, you know?"

Tony rolled his eyes. "We get it, kid."

"I just got a text, Clint's on his way," Natasha said. 

Fury cleared his throat. "Now that we have a location on Barton, why don't we get started."

~~~

Fury gestured to a chair at the dining room table. "Take a seat." Percy plopped down. The Avengers had cleared out, leaving the room empty except for the Director and the demigod, though Fury was certain they were still watching. The Director sat across from the teen, leaning back and opening a file.

"Your name?" Fury asked.

Percy smirked. "I thought you guys knew that already?"

"We do. Just thought you might feel more comfortable if we started with an easy question."

"Oh. That's cool. I'm Percy. Who are you?"

"Fury."

"The director of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Peter was telling me about you on the way over. Are you actually part of the Avengers?"

"You're not here to talk about me. Your age?"

"Seventeen. But seriously, how does it feel to work with the Avengers but not be a part of the team? Is it super cool, or do you feel left out?"

"Legal guardians?"

"Sally and Paul Blofis. I'm pretty sure you can access all of this information, right? So why do you need me here?"

"Fine, let's get started. What happened at the St. Louis Arch five years ago?"

Percy tilted his head. "The St. Louis Arch?" That was when he, Annabeth, and Grover had been on the hunt for Zeus's lightning bolt. These guys were going way back. At least he had an easy answer; the press had covered this story. "This psycho kidnapped me and two other kids. He did some terrorist stuff at the arch while he dragged us across the country."

"That sounds pretty serious."

The demigod laughed nervously. "Yeah, well, I ended up stealing one of his guns and we had a shootout. The police intervened and saved us though."

"Who were the other kids?"

Percy was not going to rat out his friends. "I don't remember."

"Don't remember? That sounds like a pretty important detail to not remember, Mr. Jackson."

The teen shot Fury a look. "Dude, that was five years ago. And it was a super stressful situation! I spent most of the time trying not to freak out or make the psycho kidnapper angry, and I'm pretty sure that's what the other kids were doing, too. It's not like we were all sitting around a campfire getting to know each other." Percy had been thinking about potential questions and how to respond to them for the past day. Hopefully, he was putting on a convincing performance. It would have been better if he'd been able to brainstorm with Annabeth, but he didn't want to risk anything with Hawkeye watching his every move.