The One That Got Away

Saturday - August 15, 2013
0159 hours

Suddenly at the dead of night, a sound of broken glass woke me up. Apparently, it woke up Thea too. I stuck my head out of my room with my PS90. Thea came out with her SIG pistol in her hands.

"You heard that?" I asked her.

"I sure did. It came from the kitchen," she squeaked. I gave her a confused look anr questioned about her 9mm-caliber pistol.

"What's with the SIG?"

"What's wrong with it?"

"Many disadvantages that I could say right now, but it's not the time. Hold on," I went back in to get something. "Use this rifle."

"A Bushmaster ACR Civilian model, thanks." She kept her SIG on her waist and we pulled our gun's cocking levers which chambered a round and went downstairs to investigate. We found out that one of my $250 drinking glasses broke and there was signs of struggle everywhere. Pots and pans were on the floor, cooking equipment was out of place, and found the intruders escape route. The window. We went out through the front door just in time to see that he or she had already started to drive away on the courtyard.

"Hey, Stop!" I shouted. But the driver took off while the tires kicked up some dust, so we sprayed rounds to his/her car. Unfortunately, we ran out of ammunition and none of the shots popped a single tire.

"Cheeses!" Thea shouted in frustration. She pulled out her iPhone out of her pocket and called Geronimo on speed dial.

"Hello, Geronimo? Someone just broke into the house. I need a BOLO on a blue Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X FQ-400. A broken rear windshield and it's covered in bulletholes..."

While she was busy talking to Geronimo, I examined one of my first line of security; the spike strips. I crouched down and took a stare at it with nightvision, seeing no spikes deployed.

"Okay. Bye," Thea hung up, then approached me. "The team's on their way here to investigate. Can you provide anything to help us?" I didn't respond to her, making her wonder what I was investigating. "Watcha looking at Danny?" she asked.

"I don't understand. Why didn't the spike strips deploy?" I said.

"Maybe someone bypassed your security coding and disabled them?"

"There's a possibility, but my firewalls are real thick. Not even the toughest supercomputers in the world combined could penetrate or find another way to get past my security coding."

She posed with her arms akimbo and took a moment to think. Then she looked around, trying to find something. "Have you got any cameras around here?"

"Plenty. That reminds me, why didn't J-Son alarm me when there was an intruder in the house?"

"Just what I was about to ask..." Thea suggested.

We went back inside, the house dark and cold without a single light. Strange thing is, the lights will always go on automatically if there's a person in the area.

"J-Son!" I shouted. No response after one second. Then him and all the lights and immediately went back online. That was really strange; I never turn him off. Never. "That sounded like the backup generator just kicked in."

"That was the backup generator, sir. I'm sorry that I have to inform you that there was an intruder in the house"

"Yeah, and he got away," Thea squeaked.

"Why were you offline? I never turned you off," I said.

"That's what I was about to ask you sir. I was looking after the house until suddenly I blacked out," J-Son explained.