Chapter 42

It had been almost three hours since Kelvin and the men left to look for Anna. Harry had grown increasingly anxious and irritable. Most of the guests had left, but there was still a good crowd to keep the party going.

He was getting ready to give up and follow them when he saw one of the men walk in. He gave him a signal to follow him to the study.

"We couldn't find her." One of the men said.

Harry rubbed his hair back fretfully and paced. Then he looked at the men questionably.

"Where's Kelvin?" he asked.

"He said he'd join us after getting a warm jacket but he never did."

"So he hasn't been with you for three hours?"

"No sir."

"Goddammit!" he roared and walked out of the study heading to the cabins.

First he checked Anna's cabin, then went to Kelvin's and found the answer to the question he was dreading. Her bloody dress was still on the floor and the water she used to wash still on the table. Kelvin found her and played him by asking him to stay at the party so he can escape with her.

He paced around the cabin with his hands on his waist, his body felt hot, beads of sweat formed on his forehead, his heart started racing, he was angry. He reached for the table and flipped it angrily, then threw and kicked anything in his reach.

Old-Fella head the noise from his cabin and decided to go out and investigate. Shortly, he found Harry raging in Kelvins cabin.

"You need to calm down sir," Old Fella said calmly standing at the door. Harry looked up at him then kicked a bucket into a wall.

"I can't, I'm so angry I don't know what to do!"

Old-Fella walked in the cabin, and picked up the bucket as if that would help the cluttered cabin look better.

"May I ask what the problem is?"

Harry stopped pacing and sighed.

"I haven't told anyone this...., I mean, we....me and Anna were going to tell everyone today before...." He trailed off. He took a moment then said, "I'm in love with Anna....I've been with her for a while now."

"I know, everybody knows," Old Fella replied soberly.

Harry looked at Old-Fella for a moment wondering how he knew, but there was no time to ask questions.

"I believed that she loved me too, until she decided to run away with Kelvin."

"Can you blame her?" Old-fella asked.

"Of course not, I can't blame her, I....I blame me! I blame myself. I lied and lied to her, to Elizabeth, Nick, you, Christine .... everyone, and now the lies have come back to haunt me. Anna ran away because of my lies, she's in danger because of my lies. And now she's chosen Kelvin."

"If Annabel has run away, it's because you hurt her, not because she's chosen Kelvin. That poor girl loves you, and you led her on knowing you're betrothed."

"I did not lead her on...."

"Really?.... You didn't know this was going to happen?....You didn't know your betrothed was going to come back one day?"

"I did, but I had a plan, I was going to end the engagement before all this happened. I thought I had time."

"Do you still want her?" Old Fella asked.

"Of course, I want her."

"Well then, standing here, destroying Kelvins cabin is not going to bring her back, go and find her, find both of them before the patrollers get to them first and hang them," Old-Fella said firmly. He was concern about both Anna and Kelvins lives.