Chapter 14

Harry returned home late evening feeling strangely exhausted considering he had not done much that day. He had managed to stabilize Mr. Harlan's wife. All her symptoms lead to him believing she was pregnant. Mr. Harlan's eyes had teared up with joy at the news of a second child. The Man had been worried that his wife was dying before it turned into happy news. Harry wondered when such joy of having a child would come in his life.

He hang his jacket and hat on a coat hanger and patted his cheeks to bring life in his face before heading to Anna's room. The door was ajar and she wasn't in her room. He noticed that the back door was slightly open too. He walked in the small dark hallway squinting and patting the wall for direction wondering why he didn't bring a lantern. He opened the last door to a nice warm breeze. The sky was clear with a full moon. It was early spring and most days were still as cold as winter. It was a blessing to have such a warm night, which he had not noticed until now. He walked further out, and looked around for Anna. What could she be doing out here? He wondered. Perhaps she's with Christine, he thought moments before he came in sight of her sitting on the bench next to the pond, lost in thought that she couldn't feel his presence even when he stood behind her.

"Anna...."

"Dr. Walker!" she jerked, her hand on her chest.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you," he apologized.

"I hope you don't mind that I'm sitting he....."

"No I don't," he interrupted with a smile, "I don't blame you.... it's nice out here. Do you mind if I sit with you?" he asked.

"No sir."

He sat down and sighed deeply then looked up the clear sky. "I didn't realize the weather was this nice today."

"Yes it is, it reminds me of Bilson plantation," she mused and looked up the sky for a moment.

"On nights like this, with a full moon, we would gather outside and tell stories, play games, dance....others would get drunk and ...." She trailed off and smiled wistfully.

"Do you miss it?" Harry asked.

"I think it's not the same now, being there would just bring back bad memories." She looked at him and said, "I do miss the people though, especially Melody, she was closest to me. I miss the story telling too, and watching people getting drunk and acting foolish."

He looked at her attentively, he couldn't help but admire her beautiful face.

She looked down sadly and said, "I don't think any of that is still happening now with a new master."

There was long silence between them as the frogs and crickets sung a duet. Harry didn't know what right thing to say to such a beautiful troubled soul. He reached his pocket and pulled out a small hip flask.

"Well, we are already talking.... telling stories, we have whiskey," he waved the flask in the air, "and maybe we can dance later, if we get drunk enough.... Let's celebrate the full moon and a day of warm weather." He took a sip and handed her the bottle.

"Thank you, but I don't drink," she said politely handling it back.

"I'll drink for both of us then." He took another sip and looked at the pond pensively. It looked magical with the reflection of stars dancing on the water like floating crystals.

Anna looked at the flask in his hand, contemplating the offer. She had always wondered what the fuss about alcohol was. The liquid that made people happy or outright stupid. She was tempted.

"Perhaps I can try a little," she said softly.

"Are you sure?" he asked before handling her the flask.