Chapter 18

"Good morning owl," Rose smiled at Nick as she entered her room.

He rubbed his eyes. He felt tired, but he'd had worst mornings. He stretched a little and smiled back.

"Who let you in last night?" She asked.

"I have keys."

"Why am I surprised," she said pulling the curtains open. He was like family after all.

"I'm surprised you didn't throw me out. I must have done something right," he smirked.

"Well of course you did.... you walked in my room covered in mud, talked about how much you loved me and wanted to marry me," she said climbing the bed and crawling towards him like a cat in heat.

"For an owl known for staying up all night, you where a bit of a disappointment," she said, her face so close to his.

"What do you mean disappointment?" He asked with a proud smirk. Rose moved her head back to see his face clearly.

"You think we...." She trailed off looking amused then sat down on his lap. "You don't remember much about last night do you?"

His face flushed with embarrassment.

"Well you blacked out, right after you said you'd prove to me why women call you the owl."

"The owl?" He asked looking confused, he had been wondering why she was calling him the owl, he had assumed it was just an endearing word she chose for him, strange as it was.

"Yes, owl," she laughed, "apparently women call you the owl because nothing can stop you from staying up Mr. Andrews," she added her mocking eyes on the part of blanket she knew his manhood was.

She looked back at his face and said getting up from the bed, "clearly you didn't live up to your reputation.... Would you like something to eat?"

"The owl," he said thoughtfully, "I couldn't think of anything masculine?"

"I don't think it would have made much difference considering...." she looked back at the manhood spot and continued, "you couldn't stay awake anyway."

"Did I get you in any trouble?"

"No. My father is away, but you are in trouble with me."

He rubbed his face, "I shouldn't have come drunk, I should have listened to Harry."

"Harry knows you are here?" she asked looking startled.

"Yes, but not like that."

"What do you mean not like that."

"He knows I went to declare my love to a woman, but doesn't know the woman is you, and he advised not going there drunk."

"So that wasn't just alcohol talking?"

"I meant every word. I'm in love with you Rose," he said soberly.

The words hung in the air for a moment. Then Rose grinned.

"But you can't be," she said.

"Why not?"

"Because...." She shook her head thoughtfully, "because you are incapable of love, you and my brother are incapable of love, possibly all men are incapable of loving a woman....one woman completely...."

"That's ridiculous."

"No it's not, and I have to accept that fact. I've stopped the love nonsense and marriage dreams, I just want to have a good time with you."

"Rose...."

"There is no need for you to pretend to love me to have me," she interrupted.

"I'm not pretending."