Chapter 3

Two weeks had passed since Harry last spoke to his sister. This time, she had come to his plantation for the ball their father had organized. Every planter's elite and any known important figure in the state was invited, dressed in the best latest fashion. The music was playing loud backed by lots of chattering as people mingled and discussed all sorts of things, from politics to marriages and businesses.

She spotted him chatting with an elderly man. At 6 foot 3, broad shoulders, piercing blue eyes, chiseled jaw line and neck length dark brown hair, he was an easy man to find in a crowd and he was every woman's dream and fantasy. He was handsome, smart and rich!

"Harry!" Rose tapped his shoulder, "I've been looking all over for you," she smiled. "Now I believe the stories about your plantation are not exaggerated."

"Well it's all fathers work, he'd love to hear you say that." He frowned and said, "its too much for me.... the house is too big, its...."

"It won't feel like that when you add a family to it," she interrupted and continued, "little boys and girls running around making discoveries of their own in every corner of the plantation.....what you call big would be an adventure for them and you'd love it brother."

He smiled at her. He pictured her thought and for the first-time children.... a family felt like a great idea.

"You really think so," he asked thoughtfully.

"I know so," she smiled. "Speaking of family, look who just walked in."

Elizabeth walked in with her mother wearing an off the shoulder cream crinoline dress with short buffed sleeves. Her blond hair tied back in a neatly braided bun, with a few curls hanging down her temples. Her lips glowing with a cherry colored gloss. Harry couldn't remember her being that beautiful. She had really blossomed since the last time he saw her a few years back, and it seemed that everyman in the room noticed. She grabbed everyone's attention as she walked in gracefully.
Nicholas, Harrys best friend appeared from nowhere and grabbed Harry's shoulder.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" he asked.

"Of course, I am," Harry answered without looking at him. His eyes transfixed on Elizabeth.

"Well, I was wondering if you are still not interested in your father's idea of marrying her, because then I..."

Harry started walking towards Elizabeth before Nicholas could finish talking. Nicholas and Rose watched him as he bowed and smiled at Elizabeth and her mother.

"My brother can be very unpredictable sometimes. I wasn't expecting him to act like that," she said with an amused smile.

"Oh, I did," Nicholas smirked, "he just needed a nudge."

"He was angry with father for suggesting he marry her."

"Well, you see, the last time we saw Elizabeth, she was still recovering from adolescence acne, so you can imagine our surprise today."

They both laughed.

"Its good to see you after a long time," she said.

"A very long time," he said kissing the back of her hand, " you look amazing," he added with a smile.

"Thank you, Mr. Andrews."

"I've always told you to call me, Nick or Nicholas, you are like my sister," he said.

Rose's smile disappeared, she had just met her eyes with Adam who had just walked in arm in arm with his wife. She looked down uneasily.

"Are you alright?" Nick asked.