Chapter 7

Nick had been secretly following Rose around the market all morning as she went from one luxury store to another, shopping with her handmaids. He had been guilty since their last encounter at the ball and desperately wanted to apologize. He didn't know how to approach her after hurting her the way he did. He had hurt women before, but they were not close to him the way Rose was.

She walked past him as he hid his face pretending to buy apples. She walked towards a crowd watching street performers. She stood at the back of the crowd and started watching the play that was causing a roar of laughter from the spectators. Nick saw that as an opportunity to approach. He walked toward her and deliberately pumped into her.

"I'm so sorry Miss...."

"Nick?" Rose frowned.

"Rose?" he said acting surprised to see her. "Sorry somebody pushed me from behind and...."

"What are you doing here?" she interrupted.

"I came to buy....some.... things," he stammered inanely. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to buy some things too," she replied with mock in her tone. They stared at each other for a moment.

"Well it's good to see you, Miss. Walker."

"It's good to see you too Mr. Andrews," she said and looked back at the play. One of the actors was exaggerating a heart attack.

"What do you think of their acting?" she asked.

"I've seen better," Nick answered.

"So, have I," she said thoughtfully, "but I've seen worse too," she said and looked at him. "You, bumping into me acting surprised to see me here.... terrible, you are a terrible actor Nick, you should never consider that path."

"What are you talking about?" Nick asked trying hard not to look guilty.

"I've seen you following me around all morning and I'd like to know why?"

Nick opened his mouth, but nothing came out.

"Are you spying on me?" she asked angrily.

"No."

"Did Harry put you up to this?"

"No."

"Is he trying to know if I'm still seeing Adam?"

"No.... are you?" he asked and felt an unexpected sting to his heart.

"It's non of your business, now can you stop following me, you can tell my brother to mind his own business too."

"Harry has nothing to do with me being here."

"Then why are you following me?" she asked firmly.

"I wanted... I want to.... I want to talk to you."

"You couldn't just approach me instead of following me around like a lost child?"

"I'm sorry."

She crossed her hands and asked, "What do you want to talk to me about?"

He looked around and said, "can we go somewhere private."

She looked at him for a moment then said, "follow me."

She gestured for her handmaids to wait for her. They walked through the crowded market to a small apartment building. On the first floor, she opened the door to the left. There were a lot of female dresses hanging everywhere and a young skinny man in his mid twenties sewing. He sprung from his chair with a big smile.

"Miss. Walker, you are back already?"

"Yes Michael, but not for dresses this time." She looked at Nick.