Chapter 10

"Come in," Annabel said.

Her voice made his heart skip a little. It was the first time he ever heard her speak. He took a deep breath rubbed his hair back and straightened his jacket, in his mind, wondering why he felt compelled to do that. He opened the door and walked in. She was sitting up covered in a white sheet from waist down.

She was not dressed down in her night dress, probably because she was expecting him and didn't want to look indecent. He couldn't remember what she wore on the other days he went in there. Everything was a blur now. He was nervous.
Anna was nervous too.  After seeing him that morning, she knew things were going to be different, the nights he spent there with her were never going to be the same, if not over. The evening leading to this moment was spent with her wondering what to do when he came to treat her. She didn't know whether to lie down or sit up when he walked in. It was the way he looked at her that morning that made her nervous.

She had seen that look before on Thomas, the look of hunger for something that didn't belong to you, the look of ruin, and it left her feeling vulnerable even with Christine's assurance that he was a kind man who would never hurt her or lay his hands on her.  She could only hope and pray Christine was right.

"Good evening," Harry greeted stiffly and swallowed a lump. For a man known for his confidence, he felt like he lost it all.

"Good evening sir," she answered softly.

He walked to the medicine cabinet. Good lord! She was beautiful! 'How did I not see that before?' He thought.

"Did you have a good day outside?" he asked as he picked a dark brown bottle from the cabinet and pulled the cork out.

"Yes sir," she said, her head slightly hang down.

"I imagine it was refreshing for you to go outside after a long time," he smiled pouring some liquid in a small silver medicine cup. He walked to her and handed her the cup.

"You read?" he asked before she could drink the medicine after noticing a book sticking out of the corner of her pillow. It was obvious that she was trying to hide it, but didn't do a good job.

"Christine said you wouldn't mind if I...."

"Of course not, I don't mind," Harry interrupted with a friendly smile. She was very nervous, he could tell. Her nervousness emitted confidence in him.  He picked the book up and read the title aloud.

"Birds of the golden sea," he smiled and said, "my sister loves this book, she loves romantic books." He looked at her and asked, "where did you learn to read?" He had never met a slave that could read or write.

Annabel cleared her throat uneasily and said, "My first masters wife taught me to read and write.... she encouraged me to....to read...she said you can learn a lot from reading."

Her voice was so smooth and soft even with the nervous stammer.

"Wonderful, you can read anything you want from my library."  He smiled and gestured for her to drink the medicine and continued, "you've been speaking to Christine for some time now."

She nodded with a slight frown from the awful tasting medicine, "Yes sir, about two weeks," she said.

"Why didn't you ever speak to me?" he asked.

"I had nothing to say sir," she said frankly. Besides, where she came from slaves were not allowed to speak to their master unless asked.

"Fair enough," Harry said and took the cup from her, "I will put you on observation and hopefully you can start taking medicine that tastes better," he smiled, "did Christine message your ankle?"