𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟓𝟎

Start from the beginning

Palpatine continued, seemingly oblivious to Anakin's reaction to the mention of Ahsoka, "You would think Master Kenobi would recognize your talents and raw power in the Force, and advocate for you in the Council chambers." He gave a sad shake of his head. "If I were a part of the Jedi Council, I would've promoted you to Jedi Master two years ago."

Anakin smiled ruefully as he remarked, "Thank you, Chancellor. I am glad to have you as my friend."

Palpatine only smiled in response. He opened his mouth to say more, but suddenly, there was a knock on the door, and Anakin twisted around in his seat to find Senator Mas Amedda enter the room with his gilded, gold staff in hand.

"Chancellor Palpatine, the next Senate session is about to begin," the senator informed Palpatine without a glance towards Anakin.

Palpatine nodded as he stood from his seat, and Anakin did the same, sensing their conversation was over. Palpatine's gaze landed on Anakin before he said, "I hope to talk to you again soon, Anakin."

"Of course," Anakin replied amiably.

He began walking towards the door, and Palpatine's voice sounded from behind him, "Tell Astrid Katarn I said hello."

Anakin's step faltered at Palpatine's words, and he stopped before glancing back at the Chancellor with a slight frown. Why would Palpatine say such a thing? Why would be bother bringing up Astrid-- and for the second time now? Was he hinting that he knew the extent of his and Astrid's relationship?

No, Anakin decided. He couldn't possibly know.

Maybe Palpatine was saying this because he knew him and Astrid were friends due to them both being Jedi.

Anakin forced a smile on his face before he dipped his head in acknowledgment to Palpatine's words. Palpatine gave him a slow smile, but Anakin was already turning away and striding out the room.

The horned, blue-skinned senator threw Anakin a vicious looking grin as he passed, and Anakin gave the senator a cursory glance as he sidestepped the senator on the way out the door. The tension left Anakin's body as he stepped into the white and grey colored hallways of the Senate building, a great contrast to the Chancellor's blood red office.

Upon remembering his promise to return swiftly to Astrid, Anakin quickened his step.

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

This was bad. Oh, this was really, really bad.

It was actually a good thing Anakin had left when he did to see Chancellor Palpatine because Astrid had been beginning to feel nauseous, and now she'd been throwing up into a bucket off and on for the past thirty minutes in her room.

The nausea had never gotten this bad before. For the past month, Astrid had managed to conduct her Jedi duties relatively easily without feeling too sick, but she feared she was reaching the point of no return.

Not to mention it was only a matter of time before everyone knew. The news would be written all over her body soon enough. But not even Anakin knew yet, and Astrid still wasn't quite sure how to break the... fortunate, or was it unfortunate, news to him.

Astrid let out a low, miserable moan as she leaned her head against the side of the bed from where she was slumped on the ground, the bucket resting between her legs. Her forehead was slick with cold sweat.