𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟓𝟎

Start from the beginning

Anakin let out a breath and replied with forced calm, "Yes, I am glad General Katarn is better, as well."

Why hadn't she said anything? Anakin supposed it wasn't anything serious if she hadn't mentioned it to him. It must have been a passing cold or something. He forced away his concern and lingering worry.

There was a moment of silence before Palpatine inquired with paternal concern, "How are you faring, Anakin?"

Anakin gave Palpatine a reassuring smile as he replied, "I've never been better, Chancellor. I find the war suits me better."

"Better than?"

"Better than ordinary life," Anakin elaborated with a smile as he ducked his head bashfully. If the Council heard him utter such words, they would disapprove. It wasn't exactly Jedi-like to enjoy fighting. Anakin continued, "I suppose war is all I've ever known. I've been fighting-- or at least training to fight-- since I was nine years old."

Palpatine nodded sagely. "Indeed. It would only make sense that war would suit you. Thankfully, or perhaps unfortunately for you, this war is about to be put to an end."

Anakin's head snapped up at the Chancellor's words, and he asked in surprised bewilderment, "The Clone Wars is about to end? How do you know?" He leaned forward eagerly in his seat, his back straight with attention.

Palpatine offered him a smile as he replied cheekily, "I just know it." He mimicked Anakin as he leaned forward in his seat, and he rested his gnarled, pale hands on the desk as he added, "The Republic has been winning for some time now, Anakin. The final blow is upon us."

Anakin was filled with a mixture of elation and disappointment at Palpatine's words. "Is there any idea on where the final battle may occur?" Anakin asked, fully intending to make sure he would be present at the final battle to end the Clone Wars.

Palpatine shook his head. "We do not know for certain, of course, but there has been talk that it may be in the Outer Rim."

That made sense to Anakin. The past two years had been spent trying to put an end to the Separatist's Outer Rim sieges to no avail. If Anakin had to guess, the final battle would be taking place on one of the Outer Rim planets under siege.

Palpatine began gently, "I do hope that you feel comfortable coming to me about anything that... displeases or conflicts you, Anakin. I want you to know that I am always here as a listening ear."

Anakin gave Palpatine a grateful smile as he replied, "Of course, Chancellor. You've been my closest friend, even more so than Obi-Wan, especially in light of recent events."

Of course, Anakin wasn't including Astrid in this contention. She was something else entirely to him.

"What has Obi-Wan Kenobi been doing to irk you?" Palpatine inquired pleasantly, eyes filled with mild curiosity and paternal concern.

Anakin ran a flustered hand through his air as he explained, "Obi-Wan hasn't been necessarily doing anything, but it's just-- it's just the way he is. He's constantly badgering me, and he scolds me like I'm still his Padawan." He shook his head in annoyance and disgust.

Palpatine nodded sympathetically and proffered, "Yes, that would be quite frustrating. It is simply unbelievable to me that the Jedi Council has not promoted you to Jedi Master. You did teach a Padawan, yourself." Anakin winced at the slight mention of Ahsoka, the familiar ache at the sound of her name pooling in his chest.