Chapter 16

Muhammad slumped in his bed and held his abdomen groaning. He closed his eyes breathing heavily. "Innalillahi wa inna ilaihi rajiun." He kept muttering praying for the pain to ease. He grabbed a bottle of water, two pills of aspirin and gulped it down, hoping he would feel some kind of relief.

This stomach pain has been bothering him for over a month now, and he has refused to see a doctor.

He turned and laid flat on his stomach muttering every dua that comes to mind. It took about 25 minutes, before the pain began to subside.

"Alhamdulillah." He whispered and sat up inhaling sharply. He blinked back the tear threatening to fall and slipped his feet into his shoe and headed to the bathroom to bathe.

He spent a minutes standing in cold water until he felt complete relief. This has been his nightly routine everyday for the past month. "Ya Allah please rid me of this illness." He prayed as he dressed in a blue jallabiya.

He laid out prayer mat and prayed nafil, read the Quran then opened his laptop and some documents to do some work. About an hour into his job, his phone started ringing. He removed his reading glasses and looked at the clock saying, "who could be calling at this time." He picked the phone and saw that it was Aisha calling. He twisted his lips and answered the call.

"Ya Muhammad, where have you been? We have been calling you but it all went to voicemail, we were so worried." She rambled as soon and he put the phone on his ear. "Calm down sis, what are you saying? Talk slowly." He chuckled, but she didn't find it amusing. "I'm serious Yaya." She groaned.

He got up and went to his kitchen to make some coffee. "Don't worry, I am fine. I was just handling some matters." He scratched his forehead. "What kind of matter is it that you can't answer your calls for hours."

"Aisha thank you for your concern but I'm fine. And it was just some office work." He grabbed a mug from the cabinet. "Okay, If you say so." She sighed. "But you should call mummy, she is worried sick."

Deciding to go for green tea not coffee, he poured hot water in the cup and dropped in green tea bag without sugar and stirred it. "Of course hajiya." He said walking back to his room. She smiled and spoke to him for a few minutes before she bade him goodbye and disconnected the call.

He shook his head smiling before dropping the phone on the bedside drawer. He was feeling a little bit hungry, so he opened his fridge and looked in it. "Oh Allah even my fridge is empty."

He closed the fridge completely frustrated and went on thinking of what to eat. He can't cook something that would take long to finish, so he settled with noodles. He was feeling too lazy, so he just cooked plain noodles with just onions in it.

He took small sips of his tea as he stood by the gas cooking. When it was done, he turned off the flame and transferred it to a plate.

The smell of the noodles made his stomach growl in hunger. He quickly cleaned up, grabbed a bottle of water and went to his room.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The next morning.

Maryam took a shower, got ready for her exams that was around 6:30 AM. She called her friends as soon as she was outside so they would meet up and go together, being that they were not in the same hostel. Husna was in ribadu and Ummita stays off campus.

Husna and Ummita arrived together shortly and they rushed to the venue.

Maryam is in her final year, studying architecture. She couldn't wait to finish school so she can start working. When she was in 100level, she used to bake and sell desserts like, cakes, swiss rolls, cookies e.t.c. But the stress was too much for her to handle, so she stopped and focused on her studies.

They started writing their final exams two weeks ago, and they were writing their final paper today. They would be finally be done with university. Alhamdulillah.

They started the paper by 7 and finished by 4. The moment she walked out of the venue she breathed a sigh of relief with a bright smile on her face. This is the moment she has been waiting for all her life. She called her family to share her happiness.

She called mama first, who picked up at the first ring. "Maryo, how was the exams?" Maryam beamed, "Toh, Alhamdulillah dai I tried my best. And finally I'm done with school."

Mama was also happy, she kept showering her with duas. Then she spoke with ya amma, Yasmin and ya mubarak. "Alhamdulillah, we are done with this hell hole." She grinned. Husna hurled her arm around Maryam smiling and said, "finally I can't wait to get married now."

"Kai, kedai husna all you talk about is marriage." Ummita laughed. "Why? Marriage is sunnah, and I want to complete half my deen. So what's wrong?"

"Gaskiyan ki hussy, but are you sure that's the only reason why you want to marry." Maryam teased.

"Well, who knows." She blushed and went to talk to a friend of hers. Ummita walked alongside Maryam to get the stuffs they needed for the mini picnic they had organized amongst themselves. They wanted to celebrate finishing school.

They were almost there when Muhammad called maryam. She smiled and picked the call. "Hello university girl." He said. "I think you mean EX- university lady."

"Okayy.." He said with note of laughter in his voice. "So how was the exams?"
"Honestly, it was not easy. But Alhamdulillah."
"Why? Did something happened?"

"You know I told you I read almost everything, and crammed what I could cram koh?"

"Yes.."
"Well I straight out forgot everything the moment I saw the paper."
"What??" He exclaimed trying hard not to laugh. She started laughing. "Allah, but Allah helped me because when I got into it, I was able to answer almost all of it." "Toh Masha Allah. All is good insha Allah. I pray you receive the best result."
"Insha Allah." She smiled and nodded at risla; her friend when she asked her something. "Yana chikin drawer. No, you grab the bag and I'll take the mat." She answered.

"Huh?" Muhammad asked. "No, I was talking to a friend. We are setting up for a mini picnic to celebrate us finishing school insha Allah."
"Ahh, you are not done fah saura miki masters da PhD." He reminded her which made her groan.

"Ni I don't think I would do my masters and stuff. Even if i would do it, I want to rest for now." He chuckled, "that is a story for another day, now I will leave you to enjoy yourself." He smiled and prayed for her. She thanked him and disconnected smiling to herself.

I'm sorry for the late updates recently, I had a serious writers block but now it's all good insha Allah.

Honestly, I also cannot wait to finish college, but the sad news is, I just started🥺
Anyways, thank you so much for giving my book a chance, I love you all💙