Chapter 5

"Allah sarki mama, how is her body?" Muhammad asked his friend Sadiq, who was seated in the living room eating.

Sadiq gulped down the last of his drink then looked at Muhammad who was holding a dish that Sadiq had just brought for him. "She is fine Alhamdulillah. Ever since you stopped by the house that day, she hasn't stopped talking about how nice you are. And today she woke up and just felt like making those delicious fried beef dumplings for you."

Muhammad took one dumpling from the dish, dipped it in a hot sauce, and savored it. "Subhanallah, it's so delicious." Sadiq also took one from the dish, "I'm still yet to find a better cook than mama," he said eating the dumplings.

"Mummy has to taste this, she will love it," Muhammad said, then closed the dish and kept it aside. "So, how is work?" he asked.

Sadiq wiped his fingers on a sheet of tissue. "It has been hectic, but Alhamdulillah."— "Do you know raihan has given birth?" He asked looking at Muhammad, who has his attention on his phone. "Dan Allah? Has it been that long?" he asked. "Has it been long since she dumped and lied to me. It has been a year and I'm still not over her." He massages his forehead. "Sorry Sadiq, She did not deserve you at all. You deserve much better."

"Allah yasa shi yafi alkhairi."
"Amin."

He leaned back on his seat and looked at the clock. "How are you and Mimi?"

"Same as always, she says I should send my family for the greetings but.."

"But what? ..."

"I don't know, I just keep giving excuses," he said as he played with a small globe that was on the center table. Sadiq chuckled, "do you even love her?"

"Of course I do."
"Then why don't you want to get married to her now?"

"I'm not ready and I believe she is also not ready," he said. Sadiq smiled and stood up. "I have to go now, mama said I should come and pick her up by 10 at Kaka's house."

Muhammad also stood up and shook his hand. "Insha Allah, I will call her later and express my gratitude."

Muhammad then escorted him to his car.

🌙🌙
When Maryam entered the house, she went directly to mummy's room.

Mummy and Maryam share a great relationship.

She found her seated by the window eating grapes and going through her bedside drawer. "Assalam Alaikum." Maryam greeted by the door.

Mummy looked up saying, "Waalaikum Assalam." She smiled when saw it was Maryam. "Maryam, how are you?"

She proceeded towards mummy and sat beside her. "I'm fine Alhamdulillah, ya gajiyan biki?"

"Alhamdulillah."

They spoke about a few things then Maryam all of a sudden turned her attention outside, looking at the workers taking the canopy off. She felt mummy's hand on hers, "maryo, just tell me," she smiled. "I'm sure you have something to tell me." She added.

"How do you do that?" She chuckled.
She gave out a laugh and winked at her saying "it's a secret,"

"Well, it's this man, Khalifa Umar. I'm sure you know him."

"Khalifa, Abubakar's friend? That one that sprayed a lot of cash on you a wajen dinner ."

"Yes, that one. So today he.." then she told her everything. Mummy chewed her grape and put one in Maryam's mouth. "What's the problem then?"

"Aunty, you know how I hate it when someone that doesn't even know you starts talking about how he fell in love with you at first sight, like how can one fall in love with someone he doesn't even know at first sight." She complained. "For all he knows, she may have some disgusting traits. Or worse."

"Aunty.." she started, but stopped when she saw how mummy was trying hard not to laugh.

"Maryam, can you think positively for once? How are you going to find your husband if you think like this?"

"But.."

"No maryo, you have to learn to see the positive side of everything." "Or we would just have to find a husband for you if you can't stand being alone with a man that doesn't know you." She finished laughing.

Maryam ducked her head, "wai Aunty, I have always been curious. How and where did you meet Daddy(that's what all the children call Alhaji Abduljabbar)?"

Mummy smiled, "Dan kunna AC tukunna (please turn on the Air conditioner before then)."

"Sure." She replied, got up, and turned it on then closed the windows. "As you know Abdul was already married when we first met. I had this close friend Sulaimy, we were so close that we spent most of the times together in either of our houses. Katangan mu ma daya a lokacin. She had this boyfriend Sani, who happened to be Abdul's closest friend at that time. So one day, Sani came to have a conversation with her, Abdul accompanied and coincidentally sulaim also begged me to escort her. So we met, also had a conversation and here we are now happily married with 5 kids." She smiled more like blushed.

"Masha Allah Aunty, May Allah bless us. Who knew you would meet your future husband through your best friend," she said, smiling.

"I know right,"

Halfway through their conversation, Muhammad knocked at the door, greeted mama, and acknowledged Maryam's presence.

He was holding the dish containing the dumplings. "Muhammad, I didn't know you were at home. I thought you told me you were going out to meet some friends," mummy said, looking at him as he sat down.

He dropped the dish on the bedside drawer. "Yes, but Sadiq came by." He opened the dish, "Sadiq's mother made this, and I know how much you love it so bismillah. Dig in."

She smiled adoringly and picked one, dipped it in the hot sauce, and tasted it. Muhammad looked at Maryam who now had a book in her hand and was trying hard not to get affected by the delicious smell of the food. "Maryam, bismillah." She looked up at him, then at the dish. "Thank you," she said also picking one of the dumplings. She dipped it in the hot sauce then ate it.

"Masha Allah Muhammad, it tastes amazing," Mummy said, taking another one. "Ya Rabb, it just melts in my mouth." Maryam closed her eyes then opened it, looking at it like it was some trophy.

"Kai Maryam da abinchi (Maryam with food.)" Mummy said laughing. Muhammad also started laughing which made Maryam pout a bit and say, "Allah sarki aunty, I was too engrossed in our conversation earlier that I forgot how hungry I was. But the moment I saw those delicious dumplings I recalled."

Muhammad shook his head, still laughing. "Ke kam Allah yasa ma kin iya girki yanda kika iya chi. I bet I can even cook better than you."

(Translation: I hope you know can cook as much as you know how to eat.)

Maryam who had a dumpling to her mouth, removed it, glaring at him. "I bet you can't cook half— no quarter of what I can even think of cooking."

"Oh really?" He raised his eyebrows and looked at her then at mummy who was laughing hard. He smiled at her then looked back at Maryam. "Oh, you don't believe me?"

"Well, I can't say, because I have never seen you cook. All you do is eat."

"Aunty, say something mana." She groaned clutching onto mummy's arm.

"Why don't both of you cook something and I judge."

Maryam nods her head then looked at him, "You better practice hard." She scoffed.

"I'd say that to you." He scoffed back, smirking.

They had an okay relationship with Muhammad, they don't fight or anything but they also do not talk to each other much ever since they grew up. But they used to be good friends when they were younger. Muhammad knows one thing for sure and that is he finds her amusing to be around.

🌙🌙

So who do you think is going to win the challenge?

Share your comments❤️❤️
Love you loads.