Chapter 1

18th October 2019
Kaduna,

M A R Y A M
She looked at herself in the full-length mirror before her, to see if everything was in place.

"Damn girl!! You look good." Her elder sister shafaatu, whom they call Adda Amma said also trying to fix her turban as they were in a hurry.

"And you look gorgeous, musty would surely be flabbergasted." Maryam teased as she wraps her peach scarf round her head letting the end trail behind.

Amma playfully smacked Maryam, shook her head smiling, and walked away.

She also shook her head and began pushing through her cousins in search of her 15 years old cousin; Nabila, whom she was sure she saw 25 minutes ago with her phone, taking pictures.

"Yauwa Nabila, where is my phone?" She asked as soon as she came across her. "I left it with ya Jannah in your room."

She had to fight the urge to roll her eyes then.

why are people like this ne wai? You give a person your phone but you come and find it in the hands of another.

She grumbled and made her way to their room which was beside Hajiya Aisha; Mama's room. She stepped into the room with a salaam,

"Ya rabb...Maryam wannan Kyau haka."
"Ya Maryam you look just wow"
"Please come and help me tie my turban like yours!!"

Her cousins: Ya Fatima, Jannah, and Ya sadiya commented making her blush.

Oh, how I love compliments❤️. Compliments make you feel secure.

"Thank you." Was all she kept saying as she made her way to Jannah who was getting her makeup done.

"Wow Jannah you look breathtaking,gaskiya mamah is so talented." She held a thumb up at her smiling. "I know right?"Jannah said whilst posing in the mirror.

Amani's eyes twinkled as she skillfully applied the bronzer on jannah's face. "That's why you should let me make your face up today."

"No, You know I'm not a fan of makeup. I don't apply anything on my skin"

"You always look moisturized, tell me what's your skin routine, I promise I won't tell," Amani said spraying the setting spray on her face.

"It's just coconut oil-"She paused to take a sip of water "-and black soap."

"Thank you, baby girl."
Maryam replied with a smile.

"Nabila said my phone was with you." Jannah started looking for the phone beside her, on top of the dresser as she was looking around she saw Maryam's iPhone 7plus laying on top of her bedside drawer.

"Oh, there it is on your bedside drawer." She pointed not looking away from her phone.

Maryam mumbled thanks, picked it up, and dialed her best friend's number. While waiting for Siddiqa to pick up the call, she made her way to Mama's room which was the only empty place.

"Hey."
"Saddiqa why aren't you here yet? Adda has been rushing us and the first batch already left. They are just waiting for us; the bride sister's and you of all people know I hate being rushed." She seethed biting her lips.

"I am so sorry best, wallahi it's not my fault but I am almost there. I will tell you everything when I get there Insha Allah please don't leave without me." She pleaded, "sure but be fast."

"Insha Allah."

That was one of her best friends Saddiqa Umar Magaji. They first met when siddiqa was transferred to her secondary school after coming back from London where they used to stay. Siddiqa's parents know Maryam's parents also, they became friends because of their children.

Maryam threw the phone on the bed as she sat then she rest her head against the headboard and closed her eyes.

About 2 minutes later she heard her ringtone.

Without opening her eyes, she grabbed her phone and answered, thinking it was siddiqa.

"Are you already here?" She asked biting her lips
"That's what I'm supposed to ask you. Mamah why are you not here yet?" She immediately opened her eyes when she heard her mother's voice. She stayed quiet thinking of what to say.

Ya Rabb what should I say to her. I would so get in trouble with mama today if I say something wrong now.

"Mama wallahi it's not my fault, they are still not ready yet."

"What do you mean by that? You know you were supposed to be here about an hour ago and who were you waiting for?"

"I was waiting for siddiqa— she stopped in her mid-sentence when a lightly dark-skinned lady clad in a baby pink lace with a brown veil draped over her shoulder pushed open the door —"but she is here. I'm still waiting for them to finish but we would Insha Allah be there in 20" she explained biting her lips which happened to be a habit now.

"You better." Then She disconnected the call.

She looked up and glared at siddiqa who just avoided her gaze and pulled her into a hug. "I am so sorry once again best. It was all ya Al-Amin's fault, he just had to go out with the driver when I needed him the most."

"I am so mad at you but it's fine." She smiled placing her head on siddiqa's shoulder.

"Oh and on my way, I met Aisha and she said we are to leave in five," she said taking out her phone from her Chanel handbag. "Before that let's take some pictures."

Maryam rushed to put on the other lights. They took pictures, send snaps and all.

After that, they all pile in the car and left for the dinner.

As soon as they arrived, they danced their way into the hall and found their seats.
🌙🌙

Maryam Abubakar Garki is the 3rd daughter of Alhaji Abubakar garki and Hajiya Aisha Muhammad Amin.

Alhaji Abubakar Garki is a Barrister who finished his studies at the prestigious Harvard school of law. He returned to Nigeria, did his 2 years at law school, and started working for firms. He has now made his way up to the Supreme Court.

He met Hajiya Aisha when he went to visit an assault victim, and she happened to be the doctor in charge. They had a conversation and you know what happens next.

They got married after 2 years of dating. She gave birth to Shafaatu(Amma) after 1 year of marriage. And now they have six kids

Shafaatu Abubakar Garki - 25 years old
Mubarak Abubakar Garki - 24 years old
Maryam Abubakar Garki - 22 years old
Yasmin Abubakar Garki - 16 years old
Adnan Abubakar Garki - 10 years old
Fatima Abubakar Garki - 5 years old

Alhaji Abubakar Garki's father Alhaji Yusuf Garki got him married to Hajiya Juwairiyya Ahmad. A daughter of alhaji Yusuf's cousin.

She gave birth to 3 children.

Rukayyah Abubakar Garki - 20 years old
Raihan Abubakar Garki - 14 years old
Ahmad Abubakar Garki - 6 years old

🌙🌙

Hy guys, it's me again
I hope you missed me cause I did miss you.

Sooooo your thoughts on this chapter?
One more thing Maryam's internal thoughts and some introductions are italicized

If you did like it pleashhhheeee
Like ⭐️
Comment
And of course share

I love you all ❤️❤️❤️
Nana🥀