Chapter 31. The Monster

Shining among Darkness

By
WingzemonX

Chapter 31.
The Monster

That afternoon, Dr. Matilda Honey sat in a small Chamberlain cafeteria, located just a couple of blocks from the local high school. It was afternoon, but despite the proximity to the school and the time, she did not see any student come in while she was waiting. The place seemed more frequented by adults, workers who went there at lunchtime, and older people who met for coffee with old friends. She supposed that in that small town, the young people surely did not have many places to meet, and obviously that was not one of them. It was better that way. She didn't like the idea that someone that knew Carrie White would see them together and would tell her mother about it. Young people were more likely to open their mouths without thinking. In the case of adults, if any of those present recognized her... she hoped that everything she had heard about the opinion that people had about Margaret White was accurate, and no one felt the need to go and tell her about it.

There were many things wrong with what she was doing, not to call them unprofessional. She was about to meet with a minor without her mother's consent, and that alone was enough to could not treat her as a patient. But, Matilda hoped she could do it as a friend.

It had been a little over a week since her first visit to that town. Since then, she had only been able to communicate with Carrie from time to time through the cell phone she had given her, but the communication could not be so constant. Most likely, Carrie could only answer secretly from her mother and teachers. The day before, Matilda had felt that in the messages from the girl, there was something different, something that perhaps bothered her, but did not tell directly. Dr. Honey suggested meeting in person to talk, and although Carrie seemed a little reluctant at first, she agreed in the end. In fact, at that very moment, she seemed much more excited about the idea, as if all her humor had taken a complete turn.

Matilda had finished eating while she waited, and after another fifteen minutes of waiting, she dared to ask the waitress for dessert. Carrie entered the front door two minutes after that, her tangled blonde hair falling over her face, her books clutched against her torso apprehensively. She stood in the doorway, running her eyes shying by the site. Matilda waved a hand in the air for her, and when Carrie noticed her, her pink lips drew a small smile. The young woman cautiously approached her table.

"Hi, sorry for keeping you waiting," Carrie apologized as he was standing next to her.

"Don't worry," Matilda replied and immediately reached for the seat in front of her to invite her to sit down, an invitation Carrie immediately accepted. "How was the school?"

"Well... the same, I guess," she shrugged. "My mother will work until a little later today. I think we have a couple of hours before I have to go."

"I think that will be enough. Do you want to eat something? I invite you."

"No, thanks..."

Carrie spoke softly as if she feared someone else would hear her. She frequently looked at the window overlooking the street as if she expected to see someone pass by at any moment. Or, maybe, she didn't want to see her directly?