Chapter 42. Look what I did

Shining among Darkness

By
WingzemonX

Chapter 42.

Look what I did

While everything outside was in absolute chaos, the real culprit of that horror watched her work from the hospital security room with particular pride and satisfaction. Lily Sullivan was still sitting in front of the console, her hands resting on it. From her position, she observed everyone who appeared and disappeared from the monitors. Although, in reality, she did not need them to see all her current victims. But they were a good guide, as a small map so as not to get lost, since the number of people she had to reach was more significant than any she had previously achieved.

Lily created horrible visions in the heads of all these crazy people, altering them and letting their fears consume them and act on them. She made them see all other people as hideous creatures, with rotten skin hanging from their faces, yellowish teeth popping out of their mouths, and reddened pus-filled eyes. Of course, the reaction of all was of aversion, terror, and above all of the violence; a lot of violence.

The show was a real treat for her. So much chaos, so much confusion, so much fear... She was delighted, even intoxicated, by it all. Her father always thought that fear was like food to her; that fed on her and made her stronger. She never quite believed that statement, but at the moment, she was tempted to consider it. The sensation that ran through her body was exquisite.

Suddenly, out of all the frightened and confused faces that appeared on the monitors, one caught her attention in a particular way; one that she managed to recognize immediately: the hateful Portland detective who interrogated her and dared to lock her in that room (with everything and guard at the door). She knew immediately that it was him, and it took her slightly by surprise. What was that guy doing there? Was he looking for her? It did not matter because without knowing it, he had just entered the cave of the worst wolf he had ever known.

Lily smirked.

"Well, look who we have here. My old detective friend. Just in time for fun..."

All the ideas that had crossed her mind to do with that man as soon as she had the opportunity came to her mind. And this one apparently was being presented on a silver platter. Indeed his square and simple mind could not understand what he was seeing, and he was naively wondering why everyone was acting so... "crazy." Of course, he still wasn't able to see anything they saw. He was just standing there with his gun in one hand and barely managing to hold it as he moved on those crutches. Surely he wanted to have a clear target to shoot at, as it was what he did best: aiming and then "bang!" If that's what he wanted, why not help him a bit with it? That would surely make him feel better.

"What are you afraid of, detective?" Lily whispered, focusing most of her attention on that single individual.

- - - -

Vazquez and Cole kept trying to calm things down in the hallways, but there seemed to be no favorable resolution. It was all a horrible pitched battle of everyone against everyone. Faces were scratched, heads smashed against walls, and even hands, arms, or necks were bitten in desperate defense. Vazquez, due to his condition, was the one who had it the most difficult. Still, his stubbornness was much more powerful than his physical limitation.

Suddenly, the Portland detective stopped abruptly without Cole noticing at first. He stared at the crowd of people in front of him in puzzlement as his appearance began to change, little by little, with each blink he gave. The faces of patients and nurses alike grew emaciated, leaving in their place only dangling skins attached to their skulls. The detective backed away, stunned. In a second, all those hideous faces turned towards him simultaneously, and one by one, they began to approach him.