Chapter 28. Abra

Shining among Darkness

By
WingzemonX

Chapter 28.
Abra

That night, shortly after speaking with Matilda, Cole, and Cody, Eleven contacted Monica. She was officially the Chief of TI in a reputable consulting firm in Des Moines. And unofficially, a cyber activist that was not afraid to cross the legal lines for a good cause. Also, she was one of Eleven Foundation's trackers with the most extensive experience and years in that work. In fact, many considered her as the unnamed leader of that small group of collaborators, since more than once, she had had to coordinate them. That was something she was very good at, it should be mentioned. But Monica not only shines and can see and hear someone from miles away as if she were sitting to one side. She very well complemented these extrasensory abilities with her somewhat more mundane and technological skills, to obtain any type of information when it was required. That combination of abilities in the wrong hands would surely be quite dangerous weapons. Fortunately, Monica's were quite correct.

However, the request that Eleven made to her that night was quite unusual, since within it was included the indication to avoid as far as possible precisely the use of her clairvoyance. That was derivate for the imminent risk that this could represent in this specific case. She hoped, therefore, that Monica would use more her contacts and conventional ways of obtaining information (if hacking, getting into non-entirely public databases, email accounts, and other social networks could be considered conventional). Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for the fact that Eleven was only given her one word as a clue to work on: Abra.

After leaving Monica with that little problem to solve, Eleven finally went to rest. Although technically she hadn't moved from her house all day (at least to the common eye), that had also been a tiring day for her. Still, she couldn't really sleep much. What had happened worried her far more than she was allowing herself to accept, even more than she had relayed to Cole, or to Mike when they two reviewed everything that had happened before turning off the lights.

It had been a long time since she had felt this fearful and helpless, feeling that at any moment, in the darkness of her own room, something would materialize, something would come out of the corners and rush to her bed, devouring her before allowing her to even scream. This made her realize how comfortable and perhaps patronizing, she had become over the years. Without realizing it, she had put herself, her family, friends, and collaborators in a status quo where they always felt safe and untouchable from any evil force that wanted to put one finger on them. And that really wasn't a bad thing; it was something they had gained after all they had lived and lost along the way. But the problem came when something like this happened. It came out of nowhere to burst his bubble and show her that, in reality, they were not as safe and secure as she thought, much less invincible or untouchable. They had always been exposed and with the back door open, at the mercy of any wild wolf that roamed the yard... and the wolf had finally appeared.