Chapter 11. Bye-bye, Emily (Part 2)

After an hour, Emily peered very quietly into Lily's room, looking at her in bed

After an hour, Emily peered very quietly into Lily's room, looking at her in bed. She expected to see her open her eyes at any moment, but it seemed she was peacefully asleep.

It was now or never.

Emily thought about it too much during that hour she was waiting for. She had the opportunity to repent, step back, just run away, and never return. But she couldn't live knowing that girl was still loose somewhere, knowing that no matter how far she went, no matter how safe she felt, she could never really put enough distance and walls between them to effectively keep her away. It was an extreme situation, and that merited an extreme measure.

The social worker took from her vehicle the gasoline she had got to burn the body. She grabbed the handle of Lily's door with a thick rope, tying it tightly to a pillar to prevent it from opening. Also, she placed a chair, a table, and everything she found, in front of the door to create another barricade, but now to prevent it from coming out. Perhaps she could enter wherever she went with her demonic powers or whatever they were, but we would see if she was able to leave as well.

She feared that the noise would end by waking her, but in all that time, everything remained silent; the pills had taken effect. She then began to spray the gasoline throughout the house, placing the main emphasis on the door and the barricade in front of it. She dipped the hall, the walls, and the floor, everything for which the gallon reached. The construction was somewhat old, mostly of wood as they were almost no longer made. Just a little and it would surely burn like a beautiful hell that would make that thing feel like home.

Once the gas ran out, and without the slightest remorse, Emily lit a match and dropped it on the dark trail she had left on the ground. The fuel ignited in a blink of an eye, covering almost immediately all the areas moistened with it, and causing a beautiful bonfire to form in front of Lily's door.

She walked then into the living room and sat on the sofa as if nothing had happened. The flames gradually began to spread, so for anyone, it would not be an appropriate time to stop and meditate on her possibilities, but she did so. And really, what were the options? She was seriously considering staying there and perishing along with the entire house. One way or another that would be the end of everything: her career, her life, her freedom. All the children she had helped, all the families she had protected, all the hard work she had done to pursue her mission... all that would be overshadowed by that act, which however heroic it might sound in her head, the other people would be unable to understand. It would be just another madwoman who had lost her mind, and had dragged an innocent girl into that madness; that is why she would be remembered, and that would be what they would put in their epitaph. By staying there, at least there would be no more questioning, more problems, or the uncomfortable and strenuous need to deal with all that. Everything would end quickly and clean. And if there were a heaven, possibly there they would receive she well. They would even give her a medal, or wings, or whatever they gave to people who sacrificed for doing good.