Chapter 13. A little bit of sense

Shining among Darkness

By
WingzemonX

Chapter 13
A little bit of sense

Samara did not sleep much that night, although someone could say it was for good reasons: more for excitement than for one of her usual nightmares, which had, in fact, been absent for a few days. This excitement was because she wanted to see Matilda, not only to tell her what she could not do the past day but also to know what her mother had said and if Matilda thought there was an opportunity to see her soon.

But Samara was also excited to see Matilda herself. She had not really known her for a long time, but in that short period, she had got used to her presence. Samara felt pleasant and comfortable and safe at her side. She liked how Matilda spoke, how she behaved, and even how she smelled. Was it weird that a person's smell was something important to her at the time of judging someone? Perhaps. But Matilda smelled like her mother, or at least how her mother smelled some time ago before she simply began to see her with hateful eyes and nothing else. That's why Matilda brought a certain nostalgic feeling to her every time she saw her. Samara wasn't sure if it was because of her that the nightmares had calmed down a bit, but she liked to believe that something had to do with it.

And knowing that she also had powers or special abilities, as she said, made her feel closer and more confident with her as if she could tell her anything and not be judged. And, most importantly, she would keep any secret. That was why she wanted to say to her, and no one else, the secret she kept about her nightmares... and about the horrible being that always appeared in them. Samara knew that if she told her, Matilda would find a way to help her, get rid of... that thing, and thus return to her normal life. She had complete confidence in her, although sometimes she wondered if her trust would not end up disappointing her again.

At that time, she was sitting on her stretcher, locked in that small room with white walls, but that had become a little bigger since Matilda gave her that little puzzle she had taken with her the night they met. The other doctors didn't let her have her doll, but that little puzzle had not been taken away, not yet, at least.

She had had fun several times dismantling the cube into its eight pieces of different shapes and colors, and reassembling it again until each position and order were memorized completely. That morning she disassembled it again to reassemble it once more, and she realized that it was no longer as fun as it was at the beginning. But that did not seem so strange. Solving the same puzzle several times, it wouldn't be fun for anyone. Once she completed it, held it in her palms, and observed it.

She remembered the beautiful way in which Matilda made it levitate in front of her, had detached its pieces, and reassembled them, all as magic... Of course, it wasn't magic, but it seemed like this. That was power, or rather a unique ability that she would have liked to have. With a skill like that, you could do beautiful and good things, and not capture nightmares and horrors on paper or on people's heads. She could even be a hero like in the cartoons, or at least help others like Matilda did. If only she could do something like that...