Chapter 05. Evelyn

Shining among Darkness

By
WingzemonX

Chapter 05.
Evelyn

Despite the tightness of her schedule, Matilda accepted Cody's invitation to eat, since she would have to do it anyway, and the road to Moesko Island was still long. They went to a small home-cooked food restaurant near to the school, which Cody recommended extensively. They went on to talk a bit more about the issue, but mostly they took the time to catch up, talk about what they had done all that time, and update their phone numbers and emails. They also agreed when Cody could go to Eola and meet Samara; they chose one day of the following week, depending on how the girl responded during those days.

Matilda only took an exact hour to eat, and then she said goodbye and withdrew, even with some food on her plate. She had to take the I-5 south again, get to Tacoma, and then go back up north, forming a "U" on the map of her GPS, which would take two to two and a half hours, until arriving at Port Townsend.

For those moments she was already somewhat exhausted. She was awake early, and almost all that time she had spent driving on the road. She was tempted to sleep in Port Townsend or Olympia after her appointment since the mere thought of having to drive back to Salem made her rather lazy. However, in the morning she had to see Samara early, as Dr. Scott had programmed it; a significant part of her was convinced that he had done it on purpose, knowing in advance that she would have to make all that trip. But whatever it was, sleeping away from Eola that night was not an option.

She arrived at Port Townsend a little before three-thirty but had to wait for the ferry until four. During the waiting time, and during the same trip to the island, she took the opportunity to stretch her legs, send some emails, and rest a bit on the seat of his car. She also tried to rehearse in her head what she would say and do once arrived at the Morgan Horse Ranch, and meet with Samara's father.

The original intention was to review with him the opinion of the psychiatrist after those days of having spoken with her daughter, as well as inform him about what the plan would be to continue from then on. However, after reading the information that Eleven had sent her, the conversation would surely have to be diverted to that topic.

She also needed to talk to Mr. Morgan about the idea of Cody talking to Samara someday soon. Of course, she would name him as a colleague of the Foundation, which was not a lie. But she would not tell him exactly why she thought it could be useful. Nor did she plan to say to him what she had talked with Cody that morning and his theory about the true nature of Samara's Shining; it was indeed just a theory until now, after all. What Matilda least wanted was for him to start making ideas in his head that they were not, especially concerning the effects it might have had on his wife's mind.

The ferry left her on the island around four forty. Since they were approaching, Matilda was struck by the emblematic lighthouse that was rising in the distance, apparently not working for those times. The sky had gone completely gray, and lightning was heard in the distance. Not a drop of water was falling yet, but Matilda was sure it would not be so long before it started. The place was relatively small, and it did not take long to find the Morgan Ranch; it seemed to be somehow the best-known place on the island.