Chapter 25. Things are gonna be very different

Shining among Darkness

By
WingzemonX

Chapter 25
Things are gonna be very different

When Carrie said there was nothing interesting about Chamberlain, it seemed she was not exaggerating at all. According to the little that Matilda was able to investigate on the Internet, it appeared to be a fairly ordinary small city, like hundreds of others that existed in the country. Its population was low, and the main engine of the economy was the textile factory. And basically, that was all.

The trip from Boston to there was about three hours by car, and by bus, it would surely take a little longer. Matilda thought about the experience that it must have been for a girl who had never left her town to do all that tour alone. Now she was the one making the opposite journey. Two days after her interview with Carrie, on a Monday in spring, she left Boston at mid-morning with her cup of coffee and her GPS showing the northeast route.

Back then, she was still in the process of acquiring her own vehicle in Boston for her personal use. I would be possible mainly by her adoptive mother's help since almost all of Matilda's savings had gone on the move and in conditioning her department and office. In the meantime, she chose to rent one, something that she had followed on her multiple trips.

She found some congestion when she was already entering Maine due to an accident, and ended up arriving at Chamberlain around two o'clock.

The only thing Lucy had found Was the address of Carrie's house and school. Her first option was to go to school and talk to her principal. However, she really didn't have any right to do it yet, because Carrie was not officially her patient. Right now, she was more a complete stranger from another city that was coming to intervene in a subject that did not concern her. The second option was to go to her house, but she had to be careful to not overstep the line. She drove to the address Lucy had given her on Carlin Street and parked on the opposite sidewalk. The house was white, relatively simple in appearance, even somewhat run-down despite being in a moderately sophisticated neighborhood. The grass in the front yard was slightly overgrown, and in some areas, it had darkened.

Matilda waited in the vehicle for half an hour, maybe a little longer. Carrie was leaving school at three, and if what Lucy had told her was right, she hoped she could see her coming down the street at any moment without delay.

The young reddish-blonde girl appeared just as she expected after twenty-past three. She walked down the street along the sidewalk, apprehensively holding her books, with her backpack on the back and her gaze fixed on the concrete. Matilda recognized her even from a distance. Not by her face or hairstyle, but by her posture and way of walking: always fearful and self-conscious as if she feared that someone was watching and judging her at every step.

Discreetly, Matilda got out of the vehicle, crossed the street, stopped on the sidewalk in front of the house, and waited there. Carrie kept her eyes so low, or perhaps she was so immersed in her own thoughts that she didn't notice her presence until she was close. Then she stopped a few meters from her and looked at her, at first somewhat confused but soon recognized her face, and then she jumped, almost scared, so much that she leaned back a little.