Chapter 29: Bluebell

AN: Episode Transcript provided by Ariane DeVere/Callie Sullivan

***

Sherlock and John arrived at Baskerville in large Land Rover Jeep. Military personnel surrounded the place. As Sherlock pulled up to the entrance, a security guard walked around to the driver's window.

"Pass, please,"

Sherlock reached into his pocket and handed the guard a pass. The guard swiped the pass through the reader and the gates opened.

"Thank you, sir," The guard said as he handed Sherlock back his pass.

"You've got an ID for Baskerville, how?" John asked as Sherlock eased the car forward.

"It's not specific to this place. It's my brother's. I acquired it ages ago, just in case. I told you- he practically is the British government. I reckon we've got about twenty minutes before they realize something's wrong,"

Sherlock parked the car at the main complex. Another soldier led them through the barriers and towards the entrance to the main building. As they approached the entrance, a young corporal stopped them.

"Are we in trouble?" The corporal asked.

"Are we in trouble, Sir?" Sherlock corrected.

"Yes, Sir. Sorry, Sir,"

"You were expecting us?"

"Your ID showed up straight away, Mr. Holmes. Corporal Lyons," The soldier introduced himself "security. Is there something wrong, Sir?"

"Well, I hope not,"

"It's just we don't get inspected here. It just doesn't happen,"

"Ever heard of a spot check?" John asked as he showed Lyons his ID. "Captain John Watson, Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers,"

"Sir," Lyons saluted "Major Barrymore won't be pleased, Sir, he'll want to see you both,"

"I'm afraid we won't have time for that, we'll need the full tour right away. That's an order, corporal,"

"Yes, Sir,"

Lyons slid his ID through a security checkpoint and waited for Sherlock to do the same. Lyons led them through the laboratory on level -1. The lab was brightly lit, various staff members walked around with face masks.

"How many animals do you keep down here?" Sherlock asked their guide.

"Lots, Sir,"

"Any ever escape?"

"They'd have to know how to use that lift, Sir. We're not breeding them that clever,"

"Unless they have help," Sherlock mumbled as they approached a man wearing a breathing mask.

"Ah," The man said as he took off his mask, "And you are?"

"Sorry, Doctor Frankland. I'm just showing these gentlemen around," Lyons informed the man.

"Ah, new faces. Careful, you don't get stuck here. I only came to fix a tap," Dr. Frankland joked as he headed towards the lift.

"So, what exactly is it that you do here?" John asked as they continued to walk through the lab.

"I thought you'd know, Sir, this being an inspection," Lyons responded, "Everything from stem cell research to trying to cure the Common Cold,"

"And weaponry?"

"Of one sort or another, yes,"

"Biological, chemical...?"

"One war ends, another begins. New enemies to fight. We have to be prepared,"