Chapter 33: Dewer's Hollow

An: Episode Transcript provided by Ariane DeVere/Callie Sullivan

***

The trio ran towards a distressed Henry Knight at the bottom of Dewer's Hollow.

"I'm so sorry, Dad," Henry mumbled as he aimed the muzzle of his pistol in his mouth.

"No, Henry, no!" Sherlock shouted as they scrambled across the moor.

"Get back," Henry yelled as he waved his pistol in their direction, "Get away from me,"

"Just put the gun down," Alice pleaded. "It will be okay. Please, trust us,"

"No! I know what I am,"

"Yes, I'm sure you do, Henry. It's all been explained to you, hasn't it?" Sherlock said reassuringly.

"What?"

"Someone needed to keep you quiet; needed to keep you as a child to reassert the dream that you'd both clung to because you had started to remember," Sherlock began to step closer to the young man. "You've got to remember what happened here when you were a little boy,"

Henry struggled to understand the traumatic event. "I thought it had got my dad- the hound. I don't know anymore!" Henry screamed out loud in distress.

"You'd started to piece things together, remember what really happened here that night. It wasn't an animal. Not a monster, but a man,"

Henry looked up at Sherlock, his eyes widened as the memories flooded in.

"You couldn't cope," Sherlock continued, trying to help Henry come to terms with what had happened the night his father died. "You were just a child, so you rationalized it into something else. Something that made sense at the time,"

John held out his hand encouragingly towards Henry as Lestrade arrived.

"It's okay," Alice said softly as she took the pistol from Henry's fingers.

"But we saw it," Henry tried to rationalise. "The other night, we saw it!"

"There was a dog, yes. But it was nothing more than an ordinary dog. We saw it as our drugged minds wanted us to see it. There was never really any monster that night or before,"

An anguished howl rang out in the woods, causing everyone to point their lights at the top of the Hollow. A dark creature slinked along the rim of the Hollow and snarled its white teeth at them.

"No!" Henry began to panic. "No, no no, no! It's the hound!"

"Henry," Sherlock said, slowly walking over to the young man to calm him down. "It's just an ordinary dog,"

"Alice, are you seeing this?" John asked, his flashlight still pointed at the creature.

"I see something. But I think it's Gary and Billy's dog," Alice responded trying to make out the shadowy figure above them.

"Oh, Christ!" Lestrade exclaimed as he saw a pair of glowing red eyes coming towards them. "Alice, turn around!"

Alice looked over her shoulder and saw a human figure approaching them through the mist wearing a breathing mask and a clear visor. She looked down at the ground hoping to find a large stick or something to use for defence when everything began to fit into place in her mind.

"It's not you, you're not here!" Sherlock yelled as he ran towards the figure and headbutted him in the face only to realize that it was Bob Frankland.

"Sherlock!" Alice yelled before covering her face with her shirt. "It's the fog,"

"What?" John questioned. His flashlight still pointing at the dog.