4 | best friend in disguise

The bell rang for the end of the class and the end of the school day

The bell rang for the end of the class and the end of the school day. The students jumped up from their seats after packing their books and rushed out the class, not giving Mrs. Smith the time to say goodbye to them. It was the end of the day and everyone in class had left. But I had stayed behind to ask Mrs. Smith to change my partner from Noah to anybody else, most specifically Bennett.

Bennett slung his backpack over his shoulder and glanced at me, "Bye Stewart." He lightly fist pumped my arm as he walked by and he left me, smiling like an idiot. Taking in his beautiful smelling scent.

I waited for everyone to leave, most especially Noah. Noah had stayed behind to speak to the teacher about the work, his soft voice causing the teacher to strong attention to him, to hear him clearly. "You ask someone to send you the demarcation of the test, or wait, I think I have an extra in my bag," Mrs. Smith said and stood up, searching for the demarcation in her bag and she took it out. She smiled and handed it to Noah.

"Thank you miss," he said slightly bowing making me chuckle.

Mrs. Smith chuckled too and as Noah was about to leave, she whispered to him, "Wait."

"Yes?"

"Do you really speak like that? Like your voice... your voice is very soft," she asked and Noah nodded.

"Yeah," he said softly, almost whispering the word.

"Oh. No, it's cute though." she smiled and Noah bit his lip and looked down nervously.

"Alright you can go. Have a nice afternoon, Mr. Jackson." Noah turned around, reading the demarcation, walking towards the door. He walked past me without glancing and left the class. I watched him making sure he had left.

I approached Mrs. Smith who had a small smile on her face as she stared at the floor. "Mrs. Smith? Are you okay?" I asked.

Mrs. Smith looked at me and she smiled. "Well, Jackie. What can I do for you?"

"Mrs. Smith, can you do me a favour and make me and Wendy switch places," I asked nicely.

Mrs. Smith furrowed her eyebrows, her smile fading, "Why? You want to be with Bennett?"

I blushed, "N- no. It's just I... don't want to be Noah's partner."

Mrs. Smith frowned, "Why?"

"I- uh- just don't want to be," I said.

"Is it because of the people laughing at him? Because of his voice and the way he acts?"