“Go baby. You’ll regret it if you don’t.”

My mom was surprising me and I didn’t expect her to encourage me to make up with Harry. She had seen me crying at night, sometimes coming into my room and stroking my hair until sleep took over. Now she was asking me to see him again? I nodded anyway and slowly walked over to Harry. My heart was beating so fast and I swallowed the lump in my throat as I approached him.

“Hey.” I said.

“Grace I just want to say that it wasn’t fair of me to be so rude earlier. I was just upset and I didn’t even tell you how proud I am of you. NYU. You did it Grace and I am so happy for you.”

“You are?”

“Of course I am bab…Grace.”

Did he just almost call me baby? All of the sudden, I was overwhelmed with my emotions and I just wanted to throw my arms around him and press my lips to his. I wanted to cry and scream all at the same time.

“Why Harry? Why did you have to do it again? Why did you have to break up with…”

I trailed off as I looked at Harry’s face. He looked so terrified and scared. He looked like he was hurting so badly.

“I’m sorry. I just…when that g-gun was pointed to your head, I…I’m scared Grace. I’m so scared. If I lose you, I have nothing and I don’t know why but I have this need to protect you and I feel like if you’re with me…”

Before he finished, I started crying. He pulled me to the back of the room.

“No, no, no. Don’t cry baby.” He said, placing both large hands on either side of my face, his thumbs wiping away my tears.

This comforting gesture made me cry more for some reason.

“Grace…baby. Please don’t.”

I couldn’t stop once I started. I rested my head on his shoulder and let it all out as he snaked his arms around my waist.

“I love you.” I told him while cursing myself silently for being such an idiot.

I wasn’t even making him work for it but I didn’t care.

“Oh baby, I love you too. I love you so much.”

After a few moments, I pulled away from him, looking into those green eyes full of fear and regret.

“How can I just keep letting you in? I don’t know if I can keep doing this. How can I trust you?”

“I’ll do anything, anything you want Grace. I’ll move to New York with you. I’ll drop everything and go with you. We’ll get an apartment together and I’ll be with you all the time. We’ll order takeout and watch all of your favorite movies. I’ll remind you every day how much I love you. It will be perfect.”