Chapter 1

Chapter 1

 Grace’s POV

High school years are those four years that shape us into the person that we are, right? No. I was going into my senior year without the slightest idea of who I was or what I wanted to do when I got out of here. I was just a normal girl. I grew up with a couple of brothers and normal, overly embarrassing parents. I didn’t have some sad sob story. I was just me, Grace Absure.

Sure I had my doubts and personal self-esteem issues just like every other teenage girl on the planet but I was grateful to have what I did. I knew I should appreciate it; it just didn’t make me happy…

Every single day of summer, I dreaded going back to school. This was my final year of high school and if it started, that means it would have to end. I didn’t want that. I was kind of abnormal in that way. All of my friends would be going far away to college and I would be doing…whatever. Most of them were all really excited about the future but I felt like it was approaching at lightning speeds. I didn’t want to graduate. I wanted to stay in high school. I was scared…no terrified of the future. What if I didn’t have one?

 “Grace, you ready?”

 I snapped out of my daze and looked up at my mom. I had agreed to let her take my school shopping one last time. Yay. I nodded, not able to say no to her.

 “As long a Zander is staying here.” I said, referring to my little brother.

 She chuckled and pulled me out to the car by my arm. I looked down at what I was wearing and groaned. I looked so grungy in my oversized T-shirt and worn out jean shorts; my stained Converses adorning my feet.

 “Grace you look amazing in anything. You’re thin and tall and beautiful.”

I smiled but aren’t all mothers obligated to say things like this? Don’t all moms think their children are the cutest kids on the planet? I climbed into my mom’s SUV and listened to her talk about how my father would be leaving on a business trip soon. As a biologist he traveled a lot, going to meetings in all different states. My mom owned a nice restaurant in town and I worked there as a waitress to earn some extra money. I liked it…and the money. My older brother Austin helped out with the restaurant too but had his own job at GameStop, every video game addicts dream.

 “So Macy’s first…or lunch. You pick.”

 “I’m going to say lunch.”

 She laughed at me, knowing I couldn’t pass up a meal. My mom was like my person, besides Sammy, my childhood best friend. I’d always been close to my parents and really my entire family. I liked it that way.

 Harry’s POV

 “Do we really have to go? I don’t want to leave England. It’s our home.”

 “It’s not now Harry. C’mon, I don’t want to miss our flight.”

 I rolled my eyes and unwillingly got into the passenger seat, pulling out my phone to get on Twitter. I really didn’t want to go to America. I loved it there but I’d only ever visited. I couldn’t see myself living there.

 “Technically, I am eighteen.”

 “Yes and where will you go if you don’t have me?”

 “Good point.” I told my mom, causing her to shrug and run her fingers through my hair.

 “Mum stop! Seriously, that is just annoying.”

 “Harry I made those curls so quit your whining.”

 “Whatever.”

 When she looked back at the road, I smiled to myself.

 “Harry, you’re doing so much better.”

 I nodded, knowing that I had made drastic improvements in the past few months.

 “I know mum. I’m trying. I really am.”

 FLASHBACK

 “Just shut the fuck up!” I screamed in my mums face, her tears not fazing me.

 She winced as I picked up a lamp, smashing it against the brick wall of our tiny house.

 “Harry, you need help. I can call your dad and…”

 “I don’t want you to fucking call anyone. I want you to mind your own damn business.” I screamed.

 “Harry!”

 I pulled at my hair, my judgment completely gone with the more I drank. I leaned against the wall, utterly broken. Mum had tried to put me in therapy a thousand times but nothing ever worked until I found my most recent therapist, Dr. Rollins. She helped me so much and I was now focused on maintaining my health and not backtracking. I didn’t want to be like that ever again.