"-or maybe not," Twenty-two whispers over my head. I throw a glare over my shoulder. He holds his hand up before taking a step back. I turn around to look at Agent Forty-seven.

"Why is the messenger up so late at night?" I let my casual side reflect around him because I know he's not judgemental. He never was.

He rolls his eyes, "You're asked to report to the chief's office immediately."

I raise my eyebrow. It's the middle of the night and I've to report now? Before I could ask him my unanswered question, Twenty-two beats me.

"Now? It's the middle of the night and wait— how did you know we are here?"

"Agent twenty-two, I tend to know everyone's whereabouts," he says smoothly.

"Wow. Retire from being the messenger or an agent you call yourself as and fill in for being a professional stalker," I tried to jest but it came out quite plain and serious.

Agent Twenty-two laughs and tries to cover it up with a cough. Agent Forty-seven glares at me then at him. He turns back towards me and gives me a bored look.

"Go before chief cracks up."

The thought of meeting the chief again makes my heart race. Deep down I know what he has planned for me. I conceal my emotions with a blank stare as I nod.

"Alright then, what are we waiting for," Agent Twenty-two says, rubbing his palms together like he is excited. "Let's get the show on the road."

He marches forward enthusiastically but is stopped by Forty-seven, who grabs hold of his collar. "Chief specifically asked me to get the leader of Delta B. I am afraid you're not allowed."

"What? That's ridiculous," he says, placing his hand on his hip in mock anger. Forty-seven shrugs in return.

"Chief's order."

Agent Twenty-two mutters something unintelligible under his breath before giving me a brief look.

"Don't kill our chief out of anger," he jests.

"No promises," I reply in return. His grin widens. My eyebrows pull together in confusion then a sigh left my lips when I realise I just joked. I hate him for breaking my steadfast cruel composure.

After he left the room, I turn my gaze to Agent Forty-seven. "Come on, Let's go before chief cracks up," I say, quoting his words.

He nods as we start walking through the corridor. The agency which tends to be busy throughout the day is quiet as a mouse during the night. Not a single soul, except for guards, around the corridor.

We pass through multiple dorms before reaching the elevator. Just as we wait for it in silence, I hear a tapping sound. My eyes narrow instinctively. I notice Agent Forty-seven grab hold of his gun for precaution. I look around before following the sound to see a familiar hunched figure near the vending machine.

Agent Forty-seven looks at her, who is busy tampering with the vending machine to get free food, and mutters something under his breath about how she never listens to anyone.

"Can you hold the elevator for me?"

"Sure and ask her to go to her dorm. If the chief gets to know about the breach of the protocol-"

"Yeah yeah. I know," I wave him off in exasperation and walk towards her.

Just as I near her, I see her get frustrated as she kicks the machine. Looks like she isn't doing a good job with tampering.

I cross my arms and clear my throat to get her attention. I see her go static before she turns around slowly.

"Need help?"

"Eighteen, hi," she says with her usual smile. I shake my head and walk forward before swiping my card.

"Last time I checked, you were rich," I say, handing her the chips.

"Well, stolen food tastes better," she says, happily opening the bag of chips and popping two in her mouth.

"Go to your dorm before Forty-seven catches you doing your little sneaky adventure."

"What are you doing here by the way? You here for food too?"

"Chief's call."

"That old man-" she cuts herself off as she looks inside the bag, squinting her eyes before turning the bag upside down, showing that her bag is empty. A sad expression already forms on her face.

I walk forward and swipe my card once again. Her eyes lits up like a kid visiting Disney World for the first time. I grab the chocolates before handing them over to her and pocket one for myself.

"One day I am gonna go broke because of you Agent Fifty."

She doesn't reply to me as her eyes were solely focused on her chocolates. She is such a kid despite being a teenager. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, she embraced me tight. I clench my hands on my side, my instincts almost forcing me to push her. But it took me good three seconds to realize, she is a friend. And she means no harm. I clear my throat and she lets go of me.

"Thank you. How about we meet here every night?"

Just when she points out it's night, I realise I am supposed to meet the chief. A gloomy feeling settles in my heart.

"I don't think so. I might have to go on a mission. I'll see you soon," I say as I walk away toward the elevator.

I get in as agent forty-seven presses the button.

"Took you long enough."

"Yeah," I reply, my mind preoccupied with my thoughts.

"You have done a great job as a leader, Agent Eighteen. I know just like other missions, you will succeed in this one as well."

I don't reply as my lips were pressed in a thin line. After a few seconds, I hear a ping as the elevator opens. We walk across a set of bulletproof glass doors to finally reach the devil's room. I take in a deep breath.

"Just so you know, the chief is not in the best of his moods."

"Good to hear," I say as I scan my ID and retina. When I am done with the check, instead of knocking on the door like any human would or asking prior permission, I barge into his office.

He kept studying his folder calmly and doesn't look up because he knows very well that no one in the agency dares to do that.

Well, except me.