Nightmare Cuddles: Shoto

"You know, I haven't heard anything about Endeavor in a while," Kaminari says and Izuku gets some mix of pride, anger, and disappointment at his mention of the flaming garbage can.

"You know, you're right, Kami. Maybe we should ask Todoroki?" Sero comments, earning nods from Kaminari and Mina while Kirishima looks a little uneasy and Bakugo...looks angrier?

"Don't mention that Shitbag in front of me," he snarls and Kiri puts a hand on his shoulder almost on instinct.

"Endeavor's no longer a hero," comes the cold voice behind Izu, everyone whips around to face Shoto, "he hasn't been for a while."

And there's a look on his face that Izu doesn't like at all. He quickly spirits them away to the classroom, missing the rest of the Bakusquad's conversation and Bakugo's not so quiet 'about damn time, half-and-half'.

Izu spends most of the day with Shoto and Toshi (who had overheard the last bit of the Bakusquad conversation and pieced together what had happened upon seeing Shoto in class) and together, they draw Shoto's attention away from his old home life. Izu offers his bed when they turn in for the night, but Shoto declines, Izu doesn't sleep that night, waiting for the familiar tug of fear on his mind that tells him someone's having a nightmare.

At almost half past midnight, he feels it, and makes his way down to the kitchen, already preparing the calming tea Shoto likes to drink after nightmares. It only takes ten minutes until Sho's down there with him, face pale, hair a mess, and body running high on adrenaline and yet lethargic with sleep.

"He can't hurt you anymore, Sho, we made sure of that. It might not have been public, but he's gone now, in jail, where he belongs. Your mom's recovering, your brother and sister doing what they want. You're free, Sho." Izu soothingly reminds him, giving him the tea to drink, but not touching him like he so badly wanted.

He keeps mumbling similar things as the boy drinks, trying to distract and calm him, reminding him of the harmless (and not so harmless) things they'd done to get the evidence to put the fire dumpster away for life. Eventually, the tension seeps from his shoulders and Izu knows it's okay to touch him now, but still waits for him to initiate contact, not wanting to startle him. Shoto reaches out and Izu's already there, giving him a soft hug and leading him to the couch for snuggles.

If they fall asleep like that, well, no one's going to complain about a sight even Bakugo would mentally (never verbally) call cute. And if there are pictures circulating in UA (and even outside of it) with a sleep softened Shoto and the always cute Izu cuddling on the couch, no one says anything about it.