37. Eye for an Eye

Crystal's POV

Shouts and screams suddenly broke out across the restaurant. I turned away from Jackson to look at what had caught their attention, but Jackson grabbed hold of my chin, keeping me facing him.

"It's not important," He said as he leaned in again. "Trust me."

I pushed a hand against his chest and raised my eyebrows at him. "How can you be so sure?"

"I just am."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Did you cause this?"

"That depends on your point of view," Jackson said. "but I can guarantee it's not important at the moment."

"What did you do?"

He shrugged. "Think of it as an eye for an eye situation." He glanced over my shoulder at whatever commotion had captured everyone's attention. He looked back at me. "Now where were we?"

I put my hand on his chest and pushed him back. "Storm," I said. "I'm assuming this is all part of that master plan you never want to include me in, but don't you think I should know what's going on right now?"

Jackson threw his head back and let out an exasperated sigh. "I suppose so," He said, though he didn't bother explaining anything.

I raised my eyebrow at him. "An eye for an eye situation?"

Jackson nodded. "I really do hate getting drugged."

My eyes widened slightly as I looked at him. "You didn't," I said.

He shook his head. "No," He agreed. "I didn't." He finally released his hold on me and stepped back. "But if . . . someone paid off a waiter to slip something in the drinks of two particular individuals . . ."

I rubbed at my head, feeling a headache coming on. "Jackson," I started. "the waiter is going to get in so much trouble-"

"Oh, don't worry," Jackson said. "I made it well worth his while."

"Help!" Someone shouted. "Call an ambulance!"

I looked over to see both Branson and his "wife" on the floor next to their table with staff and onlookers surrounding them.

Jackson adjusted his jacket and started to walk over.

I grabbed hold of his arm, stopping him. "What exactly is your plan from here?"

"Noah's waiting around the corner with an ambulance," Jackson informed me. "As for the rest of the plan," He leaned in close to me. "just follow my lead."

"And how could that possibly go wrong?" I muttered under my breath as he walked toward the crowd.

"The ambulance is on its way," Jackson said as he held his phone in hand. "Is there anything else we can do to help?"

His voice was dripping with concern and his face was full of worry. If I'd been any of the staff members, I'd have believed that he truly just wanted to help. Also, I wouldn't think he had anything to do with it. However, since I knew full well this was entirely his fault, I couldn't help but shake my head and grimace as I watched his charade.

Nothing, however, could have prepared me for the next words to come out of his mouth.

"My wife is a doctor."

He was looking at me. Pointing at me too. And yet, I turned and looked around hoping desperately that he was referring to anyone else in this little scheme of his.

I stared at him incredulously. "Oh no," I said to him as he grabbed my arm and pulled me over. "Storm, you better not."

"Just follow my lead."