7. Playing with Fire

Crystal's POV 

Jackson took what I assumed was supposed to be a threatening step toward me. "You're playing with fire, Babe," He told me.

I smiled sweetly back at him. "Good thing we're literally surrounded by water." I got right in his face and stared back at him defiantly. "Bring it on, Storm."

He got that look in his eyes. The look that said he was excited for a challenge and intended to win.

Too bad I was going to make sure he'd lose.

Jackson's cocky smile widened at whatever expression was on my face. He walked out onto the deck of his yacht. I followed behind him, more than a little annoyed when he leaned back against the railing and crooked a finger at me to come closer.

I stayed where I was. "Not going to happen," I said flatly.

Jackson's smile seemed to get even bigger. He pulled an envelope out of the inside pocket of his suit and held it out to me. "I don't know what you're thinking of, Babe," He said, his eyes sparkling in amusement. "But my intentions are completely honorable. Get your head out of the gutter."

I glared at him before slowly walking up to him and taking the envelope from his hand. I opened it and stared down at the invitation made out to Jackson Storm for a huge gala.

Already this was setting off alarm bells in my head. Nobody invites Jackson Storm to a gala. They'd invite Thomas Gavin, Wyatt Franklin, Ryan Stuart or any other of his thousands of identities. It wouldn't be addressed to Jackson Storm . . . unless the gala wasn't exactly for the most legal kind of people.

I turned the invitation around for him to see. "Do I even want to know?" I asked him.

He smiled. "All that you need to know is that several . . . of the more colorful characters in the world will be there. It's a night for everyone to do business with one another without the troublesome police coming and ruining all the fun."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"And," Jackson said as he narrowed his eyes at me. "the mistress I sold your necklace too will be there."

I eyed him skeptically. "How can you be so sure of that?"

Jackson's eyes lit up and I knew I was going to regret asking before he'd even opened his mouth to give me an answer.

"She's the one who gave me the invitation. Said she'd love to see me again. She gave it to me right after-"

I cut him off with the wave of my hand. I already knew where this conversation was going. "Please, don't finish that sentence."

Jackson's smile remained firmly in place. "Come now, don't be shy. It's nothing that we didn't-"

"I will shoot you if you finish that sentence."

Jackson's smile widened. "Don't like to be reminded of our nighttime activities?"

"Don't like you," I corrected him. I looked him up and down. "Or my desperate lapses in judgment."

He just looked amused at my reply. I glared at him.

"So we go to this gala and then what?" I asked him. "Ask her kindly to please return the necklace?"

Jackson shrugged. "I figure we'll have to buy it back from her." He locks eyes with me. "Which of course you will be paying for."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "And how do you figure that?"

Jackson scoffed. "Well, I certainly won't be returning any of the money I was paid. After all, I did do business."

"With stolen property," I hissed.