28. Playing the Hand You're Dealt

Start from the beginning

"In exchange for what, exactly?"

"My services."

I continued to watch her. Every move she made was elegant, smooth, like something out of a storybook. There was a sort of innocence about her that she seemed to radiate, but still, something about her was ever so slightly off. And normally, I didn't think I'd ever actually notice it, except that it was similar to what Jackson did to put people at ease, and I knew how to recognize it.

"Now that doesn't seem like a fair trade," I said, hoping to get more out of her. Hoping that she'd start talking a little more and let something slip, but I knew it was unlikely. Every answer, every word she said was purposefully vague. Like how she was answering my questions without actually answering them.

She shrugged and looked briefly out at the dancefloor. "What can I say?" She said as she turned back to me. "You play the hand you're dealt."

She finished the rest of her drink and set the glass down next to me. "I will say this, Crystal Carver," She said as she pushed off from the bar and looked over her shoulder. "You've begun to piss me off with your insistent meddling. So I will warn you to stop. To leave Kurt alone, for now at least. After he gets me what I want I really don't care what you do with him."

"And if I don't?" I asked her before she walked away.

She smiled sweetly at me, but the expression in her eyes was deadly and downright frightening. It would have made me take a step back from her if I'd had anywhere to go. "Then you'll soon learn that between the two of us, Kurt Branson is not the one you should be afraid of."

She turned to leave only to stop and turn back to me once more. "A word to wise as well, a black dress blends into a sea of suits and tuxes much better than any other color. You really want to go unnoticed next time, wear black." She smiled sweetly once more. "And another thing, I'd take your . . . husband, up to his room. The drugs I slipped in his drink should be kicking in right about now."

I tensed up and she waved her hand dismissively.

"Don't worry, it won't kill him. But if you had any plans for the evening, I think you'll find they'll have to be rescheduled." She gave me a finger wave over her shoulder as she walked away. "Goodnight, Crystal Carver."

I waited until she was out of sight before I let out the breath I hadn't even realized I was holding and put my head in my hands.

A hand was placed on my back. "Are you alright?" Julie's voice floated to my ears.

I nodded and removed my hands only to rub at my forehead with my fingertips. "Where is Jackson?"

"I don't know," Julie replied. "Little Miss Rat pulled him off the dancefloor as Branson took you dancing." I could feel her gaze on me. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine," I muttered.

"Your hands are shaking."

I looked down at my hands only to realize that she was right. I crossed my arms over my chest. "I need to find Jackson."

"Take a breather first. He's not going anywhere . . . regretfully."

"She drugged him, Julie," I told her.

She let out a sigh. "Is that so bad?" I gave her a look. "Fine, fine," She said. "Come on, I'll help you find Mr. Full-of-Himself."

He wasn't in the room, at all. He wasn't in the hallway, and Julie even checked the nearest restrooms, regardless of all the men shouting at her to leave as she just kicked open the door and strutted in.