Chapter 24: Goodbye

I was still on bed rest. I couldn't walk because the surgery took place on my right leg. Evangeline stopped by an hour after I woke up just to say hi. But she left because she had a meeting with Doctor Walsh.

"Knock, knock. Busy?" Remington said standing by the door.

"Hey!" I said happily.

"Hi." She whispered. I sat up on my bed and she sat near me.

"When'd you get get back?"

"Actually Beckett, I was hoping we could talk about us?"

"What's up?"

"We had a fling. I understand that. I would never trade up anything than my time with you here. Rhett and Cora are also being transferred to Maryland in three days. I leave tonight. But I came to this in person because I know it would hurt more through a text message. I really wish I could've been someone you wanted-"

"Wait what? Remington why would you say that-"

"Because it's true. You never looked at me the way you looked at Evangeline or Evie. You laughed with her more. You played with her more. She made you happy. You deserve to be with someone exactly like her. Someone different. Someone that will not match you. Evangeline is that for you. I wasn't. I really hope to see you out of this in the future. Goodbye, Beckett." She got up, kissed my forehead and walked out.

"Hey I just saw Remington-" Evangeline walked in and paused.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

Evangeline came closer and sat on my bed. She looked down at her fruit cup and looked back up at me.

"Are you okay, really?" She asked more firmly.

I nodded my head no. Remington was a good person. I never meant to make her feel like if she wasn't enough. Some part of me felt guilty. I girl I liked was dying in front of me but the girl I had a fling with walked away because she felt like she wasn't enough. I will forever feel guilty for the misconception I placed upon her.

"Do you want to watch a film?"

"Not today, Eve."

"You know, I cannot explain how my father felt when my mum died. He locked himself in a room for a month and did not speak to me for six months. When I asked him about it, his response was that I reminded him of her. A guilty sensation flooded my veins. A month after he started speaking to me, I became fatally ill. Now he's losing me too." Her eyes became watery. You could hear the pain in her voice. She turned away and placed her middle finger in the corner of her left eye to stop the tear from coming out.

"Eve, it's okay-"

"No it's not. You see, he has gone through so much. He's lost so much. Only for it to get worse. My heart is broken for him. I held anger and hatred because he wouldn't come to see me. Then I finally realized, he didn't want to see me because I was in pain. That broke him." I sat up and hugged her. But she began crying even harder. Sobbing so hard my hospital gown was drenched with tears.

She's seen heartbreak in her own home. And she saw it again with me. I had forgotten Evangeline was gonna die. Remembering it only made me want to hold her even longer.

"No more talking about this, okay?" I picked up her head and held her cheeks in my hands. Her face was squished and red. She nodded her head yes.

"Lay with me. Let's watch Love Actually."

"I have a question." She asked while putting the movie on."

"Yeah?"

"I was thinking, maybe you could help me finish the last eight things on my bucket list?"

"Yeah." I smiled.