Chapter 19: Meditation

Evangeline's father couldn't be more clingy. He came with us everywhere. Even when it can down to the bucket list. We crossed off pulling a prank on Abigail, going to an amusement park, watch the sunrise, and catch fireflies. Yes, he was there through it all. I felt like I was being babysat the entire time. Luckily, Evangeline told him to give us the day to meditate, which was on her bucket list.

Meanwhile, my parents were staying at a nearby hotel but in separate rooms of course. They're truly only talking because of me. They didn't speak much after they divorced. Unless it had to deal with me. Although they would come visit everyday.

"Meditation room in ten minutes, Beckett!" Evangeline barged into the room.

"Don't you ever knock?" I jumped.

"Beckett, were best friends. I don't have to knock. At least that's what I've read on social media."

"Social media- what?" I said confused.

"I read a post on Instagram about your best friend taking food from your fridge and not knocking on your door-"

"Evie that's an exaggeration. They don't really do that. Most parents are strict." I interrupted her.

"I'm still doing it."

"Oh my-" I whispered under my breath.

"Ready?" She asked approximately point five seconds after.

"I still have six minutes."

"I lied." She smiled.

"Look Eve-"

"Hold that thought for a second, I have to get something from my room."

"But Eve-"

"Come on! Wait outside my door." She pulled my arm and stood me outside her room.

She kept interrupting me, which really annoyed me. It's almost like I can never talk when I'm around her. Mostly cause she doesn't let me.

"Hey Beckett." Said Nurse Abigail.

"Hey Abigail." I turned around.

"Another crossing?" She pointed at the list.

"Meditation."

"How many have you guys done?" She asked nicely.

"Well Evie did six prior and I helped her do another six."

"Impressive. Are you enjoying it?"

"Honestly, yes but no. Evangeline can be annoying at times. She doesn't ever let me finish talking. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to try new things that I'd probably never do but I just don't like being pushed and pulled around like some toy."

You see I made the mistake of even saying that. Turns out, Evangeline's door was cracked open and she heard everything. Everything.

"Beckett, you shouldn't see it that way. See it as a way of helping Evangeline in some sort of way. The entire time she was here she had no friends. Then you came along and she's happy and excited to do stuff. Before you, she laid in her room and only talked to my husband and I. You don't realize how much you've changed her."

"Yeah Abigail but you and Walsh are her doctors. I'm not. She just knocked on my door and her Polaroid flash ripped through my pupils like lighting a fire-"

"But you ended up okay, didn't you?" She smiled and walked passed me.

She was right though. But I still made the mistake of continuing to talk about Evangeline badly. I should've known she was listening.

She was talking a long time and I check only to see her door open. In my head, I hoped she hadn't heard. But she did.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Actually Beckett, I'm not really feeling great. I just overcame a headache and I'm feeling dizzy. Can we change the schedule?"

"Yeah. Tomorrow?"

"Yeah."

She didn't show up the next day. Or the day after that. Or the day after that day. Soon, I began to realize she stopped talking to me all in general. She avoided me in the hallways by turning the other way. Right there was when I realized I had truly messed up. Because not only did I probably lose a friend, I lost my potential love.